Apply for a school place
- Apply for a school place
- Catchment areas
- Nursery school or class
- Primary: Reception, junior or middle school
- Secondary school
- In-year applications (moving schools)
- Support with choosing a school
- Admission appeals
- Fair Access Protocol for children without a place
- Determined Admission Arrangements & annual consultation
- Apply for University Technical College (UTC)
It is your responsibility as a parent/carer to make an application for a school place. You must make an application, as places are not allocated automatically, if you need help please contact the School Admissions Team.
- Check your primary school application offer online
- Check your secondary school application offer online
- View primary schools with places remaining for September 2015 (pdf, 140kb)
- How to appeal
- All admissions to maintained schools, including Academies, must be made in accordance with the School Admissions Code, which ensures that school places are allocated in an open and fair way.
- If you live in Cambridgeshire, all school admissions are managed by the School Admissions Team.
- All children must legally start school in the term following their 5th birthday. In Cambridgeshire places are offered in Reception from the September following your child’s 4th birthday.
- Help is available with choosing a school from the Parents School Preference Adviser
- If you are in receipt of certain benefits your child may be entitled to free school meals, saving you up to £400 a year on paying for school meals or other financial help associated with learning.
Moving into Cambridgeshire
If you are moving into Cambridgeshire from abroad or another county and your child requires a school place, you will need to make an In-year application. You can use the school search to find a list of schools in Cambridgeshire.
What if I want my child to start primary school a year early or a year late?
It is Cambridgeshire County Council’s policy to admit children to the Year group appropriate to their date of birth. You may seek a place outside your child's normal age group if, for example, your child is summer born, gifted and talented, or has experienced problems such as ill health. For more information on acceleration or deferrals, please contact the Admissions Team.
Telephone: 0345 045 1370
Fax: 01223 727 941