Archives & Local Studies
About Cambridgeshire Archives & Local Studies
Our aim is to identify, collect, preserve and actively promote the use of historical records relating to Cambridgeshire, including the former counties of Huntingdonshire and the Isle of Ely.
The archives in our care come in all shapes and sizes, from parchment to paper, from maps to microfiche and from photographs to CD roms.
Our online catalogue (CALM) will tell you where the listed documents are held.
Each archive stores millions of original historical documents and makes them available to the public in supervised searchrooms. Our expert staff will help you to consult original historical documents, microform copies, transcripts and other sources of historical information.
We run 3 main local studies libraries at Cambridge, Huntingdon and Wisbech and other libraries also contain smaller local studies collections.
As well as the above we offer:
- the use of our research service to call on our expert knowledge and save the time and expense of travelling to our offices
- Copies of many of our records through our reprographics service
- High quality images through our specialist scanning and digitalisation service, the FSB Scanning Bureau
- Advice on the best methods and materials for conserving documents at home
- Guided tours of the Archives, as well as talks and displays about some of the records in our care
- Opportunities to get involved with volunteering in the Archives and Local Studies.