Free bus pass

The scheme is now linked to the state pension age for a female. To see when you qualify for a free concessionary bus pass on age grounds, have a look at the government state pension age calculator on the website. You will also qualify for a Concessionary Bus Pass if you satisfy the disability eligibility criteria set out below.

Your sole or principal residence must be within Cambridgeshire. Visitors on a temporary visa and British nationals whose principal home is abroad are not eligible for this scheme.

Apply for a bus pass


You may be eligible if:

  • you are of pensionable age. 
  • you are registered blind or partially sighted
  • you are registered as profoundly or severely deaf
  • you are without speech or have limited speech
  • you are without the use of both arms
  • you qualify for the higher rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
  • you have been or would be refused a driving licence for medical reasons
  • you have a learning disability
  • you have a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and been awarded at least 8 points against either the PIP 'Moving around' and/or 'Communicating verbally' activities
  • you have a war pensioner's mobility supplement
  • you are an ex-service man or woman who has lost a leg

If you qualify you should apply 4 weeks before you need your pass.

Documents and photo

You will be asked to upload a passport style photograph and documents proving your residency (for example: utility bill or official letter addressed to you, dated in the last 12 months) and for those applying under the disability criteria you will also need to upload documentation proving your eligibility to apply under this criteria. You will not be able to complete and submit your application without these uploads.

You can scan and upload your documents free at any library below: 

  • Cambourne
  • Central library, Cambridge
  • Huntingdon
  • March
  • Papworth
  • Rock Road, Cambridge
  • St Ives
  • St Neots
  • Wisbech

Please see the concessionary bus pass photo guidance.pdf (27Kb) for the correct format for your photograph. This is important as it will be used to print your pass. Your application may be delayed if your photograph is not suitable.

Apply for a concessionary bus pass

If you are eligible for a free pass and have submitted a suitable photograph and relevant documents, you will receive your pass within 28 days. If you have any problems using the online form please telephone 0345 045 1367. 

Renew a concessionary bus pass

If your bus pass is due to expire or has already expired then you are able to renew below. You should receive your pass within 10 working days.   

Renew bus pass

Lost, stolen or damaged bus pass

If you have lost your bus pass, had it stolen it or it is damaged, you can apply for a replacement online. There is a charge of £8.50 for a replacement. If your pass has been stolen please report the theft to the Police first who will issue you with a crime number.  You need this crime number to apply for a replacement.

Apply for a replacement bus pass

When and where can I use my bus pass?

You can use your new national bus pass for free off peak travel on any local bus in England, including London. In Cambridgeshire this means free travel Mondays to Fridays after 9.30am until the last bus and all day on weekends and bank holidays.

This includes the Cambridge Park & Ride and the X5 services.

Excluded journeys are: long distance coach services, services with bookable seats and rail travel.

In addition to this statutory Cambridgeshire County Council provides the following additional benefits to the statutory scheme:

  • concessionary bus passes may also be used on certain Dial-A-Ride services to give you a 50% reduction of the fare. Some other local benefits may apply. Please ask your district/city council or Dial-A-Ride scheme for further information
  • where the only bus serving a settlement departs prior to 9.30am, an exception may be made. Please check with the bus operator or the County Council first
  • if you are eligible because you are severely sight impaired or sight impaired you will be able to use your bus pass to travel free before 9.30am on weekdays

Was this information useful?