The RECAP Waste Management Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document was adopted by Cambridgeshire County Council on 22 February 2012.
The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Minerals and Waste Core Strategy sets out a requirement for developments to make provision for waste storage, collection and recycling in accordance with the content of the RECAP Waste Management Design Guide.
Similarly developers are also required to contribute to the provision of waste management infrastructure, including waste storage containers, Household Recycling Centres and Bring Sites within Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
The RECAP Waste Management Design Guide provides advice on the design and provision of waste management infrastructure as outlined above as part of residential and commercial developments including the following:
- internal/external storage capacity - the amount of space required within homes and for the storage of bins to serve residential and commercial developments
- location of waste storage - issues to be considered in relation to the location of bins
- waste storage infrastructure - a minimum specification for the storage of waste in residential and commercial developments
- highway design - ensuring that waste collection vehicles can serve new developments effectively
- additional waste management measures - complementary measures which can be introduced to support the effective management of waste
- developer contributions - how developers will contribute to the provision of waste infrastructure including the provision of waste storage containers, Household Recycling Centres and Bring Sites
- the RECAP Waste Management Guide also includes a toolkit to be used by developers to demonstrate how they have addressed the waste management infrastructure requirements set out above as part of their proposals