Buy With Confidence is an approved business scheme, giving residents access to businesses who have been checked and approved by Trading Standards authorities. The brand has been developed so that people associate the logo with businesses they can trust and rely on. It is well established, operating in over 50 counties and boroughs.
The scheme applies to most consumer-facing sectors from home improvements and repair garages to computer repairs and chimney sweeps. Visit the Buy with Confidence website to find out more.
Benefits of being part of the Buy with Confidence scheme
- A public profile on the national BuyWithConfidence.gov.uk website (including a link to your business’s website).
- Permission to use the Buy With Confidence Trading Standards Approved logo on all your paperwork, stationery, marketing materials, adverts and website. We can also provide you with vehicle livery if your business has its own vehicles.
- Ongoing support and advice from Trading Standards for any issues you encounter.
- Being part of a scheme promoted by over 50 Trading Standards services and local authorities. Our consumer advice partner Citizens Advice Consumer Service, also provides telephone searches of members for those who do not have access to the internet.
- Benefit from the growing profile of a national reputable trader scheme.
- Help and mediation from Trading Standards during customer disputes.
- As a result of your membership, you are likely to see an increase in customers as they will have confidence in your business, knowing you are a reputable business that they can trust.
What is involved in the application process?
The application process to become a member is straightforward. Apply through the Buy with Confidence website below.
Essex Trading Standards administer the scheme for our region and once your application has been received, they will get in touch with you to arrange a visit.
All applicants receive comprehensive checks to ensure that only honest, reliable and professional businesses make it on to the scheme. This ensure it continues to be a brand people can trust.
The checks carried out vary depending on the type of business, but generally they include:
- Organisation/Association membership where membership is claimed
- References (we take our own references from customers picked at random)
- Financial standing checks including CCJs, Insolvency register and a credit report for Companies
- Relevant insurances including public liability
- Criminal record check where staff work at people’s homes
- Complaint history with Trading Standards
If any issues are found during the onsite pre-approval visit, you will be provided with advice and support in addressing these. Once all relevant checks have been carried out and everything is in order, you will be issued with a Membership Certificate.
How much does it cost to join?
The fees to join are available on the Buy With Confidence website. The cost of membership will depend on the size of your business.