Cambridgeshire Libraries are delighted to welcome Librarian Theatre with their latest production ‘Alice in the Cuckoo’s Nest’ to tour 13 libraries across the county this winter.
‘Alice in the Cuckoo's Nest’ re-imagines Lewis Carroll's classic story in the setting of a modern day mental institution. The tour starts in December, kicking-off at Ramsey Library on 4 December and finishes at Chatteris Library in February half-term.
Although the show is family friendly, ‘Alice in the Cuckoo’s Nest’ is a new experimental adaptation and a far cry from the innocent adventure portrayed by Walt Disney's 1951 film version: “We're not shying away from the darker sides of the subject matter,” said Company director Tom Cuthbertson, “but nor will there be overly explicit content which would exclude younger audience members.
Cambridgeshire County Council’s Chair of the Highways and Community Infrastructure Committee, Councillor Mathew Shuter said: “Libraries are the perfect place to host theatre performances and make them accessible to everyone in local communities. We are very happy the theatre company are coming back for the third time, following glowing reviews from their last visits across the county with their imaginative productions of ‘A Christmas Carol’ and ‘Hamlet’, and requests from audiences for more!”
Set up by actors Tom Cuthbertson and Kelly Eva-May as a not-for-profit company in 2015, Librarian Theatre work alongside libraries to deliver accessible, affordable, high-quality theatre to local communities, whilst using their tours as opportunities to promote and protect public library services, reading and literacy. The company successfully trialled the concept last year with a 43-show tour of ‘Hamlet’, followed by a 25-show tour of ‘A Christmas Carol’.
Cambridgeshire tour dates:
- Monday 4 December, 7.30pm - Ramsey Library
- Tuesday 5 December, 7.30pm - St Neots Library
- Wednesday 6 December, 2.30pm & 7.00pm - Cambourne Library
- Thursday 7 December, 7.30pm - Huntingdon Library
- Friday 8 December, 7.30pm - Rock Road Library
- Saturday 9 December, 2.30pm - Cambridge Central Library
- Wednesday 24 January, 7.00pm - Histon Library
- Monday 12 February, 7.30pm - Wisbech Library
- Tuesday 13 February, 7.30pm - Whittlesey Library
- Wednesday 14 February, 7.00pm - March Library
- Thursday 15 February, 7.30pm - St Ives Library
- Friday 16 February, 7.30pm - Ely Library
- Saturday 17 February, 7.00pm- Chatteris Library
Tickets: £7/£4 concessions, on sale at www.librariantheatre.com and in libraries.
Doors open 30 minutes before each show, with refreshments available. The show lasts approximately one hour with no interval.