Support after a stay in hospital
If you need support to help you look after yourself and live independently at home, whether because you need to gain (or regain) skills and confidence after a stay in hospital or because you have an ongoing care and support need, there are services and support to help you.
When you are discharged from hospital you may need help with every day things that you could easily manage before.
You may need to make small changes when you get home or do some things differently for a short while. You may get help from your family or friends until you are able to do things for yourself.
Ward staff may put you in touch with a home from hospital co-ordinator if the hospital has one. You can ask for a family member or friend to be with you to discuss your options.
If you are worried about someone who is coming home from hospital, speak to the ward staff who will advise you how you can help to plan for their hospital discharge.
If you will find it difficult to manage at home without some help you will have an assessment before you return home to identify and agree your needs and to discuss the help and support available.
If appropriate, we can arrange short term support for when you return home to help you recover and maintain your independence, for example:
- Medicine management
- Provision of aids and equipment
- Rehabilitation e.g. physiotherapy + occupational therapy
- Confidence building
- Continence Care
- Help with preparing meals
- Personal care e.g. washing and dressing
We do not usually provide the following:
- Domestic activities e.g. routine cleaning
- Care of pets
Before the end of your short term support you will have a review to see if you need further support.
If you are not eligible for support from the Council you could arrange care through a home care agency that is registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
- Search NHS Choices for care providers near you and check that they meet national standards.
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0345 045 5202
8am to 6pm Monday to Friday
9am to 1pm on Saturday
- Search the Care and Support Directory for local and national support services
- Find out how equipment and technology can help you live independently
- Search NHS Choices to find suitable care and check it meets national standards
- Find out more about changes you can make in the Care Choices adult care and support guide
- Planning your care
- Paying for care
- Delivering the Care Act in Cambridgeshire
- Complaints and feedback
- Age UK
- Someone to speak on your behalf (advocacy)