Thinking about moving?
If you are concerned about managing in your current home and want to think about moving now or in the future, there are a number of things to think about and if possible, to talk over with friends and family.
There is an online housing options app, HOOP, which will looks at your housing needs and concerns, and offers suggestions and details of local services which may be able to help. You can also get more information on housing option from FirstStop Care Advice.
It may be possible to adapt your home or use equipment to help you live there more easily.
If you do feel you need to move, there are a number of options to consider and things to think about, such as:
- downsizing to a smaller home
- buying or renting something different
- moving in with family or friends
- moving into sheltered, Extra Care or retirement housing (which might be bought or rented)
- finding out about park homes and almshouses
- finding out about social housing
Help to decide
There is a lot of information to help you make a decision about your housing.
Age UK has information, including a downloadable guide to help you plan your future housing needs. It covers sheltered housing and information about buying and renting retirement accommodation.
The Elderly Accommodation Council (EAC) offers advice to help older people make informed decisions on their housing and care needs. It has information about sheltered housing that is available to rent privately.
Papworth Trust provides information and advice for people with disabilities on a range of subjects, including housing.
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0345 045 5202
8am to 6pm Monday to Friday
9am to 1pm on Saturday
- Search our directory for local and national support services
- Find out how equipment and technology can help you live independently
- Find out more about changes you can make in the care choices directory
- Age UK
- Being a carer
- When you feel you need more care and support
- Cambridgeshire Insight's guide to housing services