Accessibility Options

You can apply for the right to deal with the benefits of someone who can’t manage their own affairs because they’re mentally incapable or severely disabled.

Only one appointee can act on behalf of someone who is entitled to benefits (the claimant) from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

An appointee can be:

  • an individual, eg a friend or relative
  • an organisation or representative of an organisation, eg a solicitor or local council

Appointee’s responsibilities

As an appointee you’re responsible for making and maintaining any benefit claims. You must:

  • sign the benefit claim form
  • tell the benefit office about any changes which affect how much the claimant gets
  • spend the benefit (which is paid directly to you) in the claimant’s best interests
  • tell the benefit office if you stop being the appointee eg, the claimant can now manage their own affairs

Find out more about becoming an appointee

Did you find this information useful?