Accessibility Options

Assessing your contribution

If you are assessed to be eligible for care and support services in the home we will work out how much it will cost to enable you to live the life you want. The Council may be able to support you with this cost. To do this we will need to complete a financial assessment after which we will be able to say how much the Council can contribute and you will be able to see how much your contribution will be. The total amount needed to fund your support is called a personal budget.

To work out what you will pay we will ask you to complete a financial assessment form. We may ask to see any documents you have which show your income and savings. These will include:

  • Details about your benefits, pensions or other income.
  • Evidence of your bank and building society accounts, national savings, shares or other investments.
  • Evidence of your Council Tax, rent or mortgage interest payments.
  • Evidence of any Disability Related Expenditure. (An additional expense that you have because you have a disability or frailty or something that costs you more because of this. You must be eligible for a disability benefit e.g. Attendance Allowance.) 

Fairer contributions policy

Size: 126.34 KB File format: pdf

If you need help to complete the form or if there may be a delay for any reason, contact the Revenue and Assessment Team as soon as possible.

If information has not been provided within 21 days, you will pay the full amount for the care received from the day the care started.

After your financial assessment

Based on your financial assessment we will tell you the most you will have to pay each week. We call this your maximum weekly contribution. We will not ask you to pay more than this. Your contributions will begin from the date that your support starts to be provided.

This means that if your health gets worse and you need more support, but your finances have not changed, you will not pay more than the maximum weekly contribution.

You may also be entitled to higher rates of benefits. We can give you advice and help for you to apply for these. If you are awarded any other benefits after your financial assessment, you must let us know so that we can let you know if it affects what you pay towards your care and support.

How much of my income do you take into account?

When we assess how much you should pay towards your care, we take most state benefits into account. However, we won’t include any Savings Credit you receive as part of your Pension Credit.

We will consider any other income for example, private pensions, or income from trusts. If you receive a War Pension, we may only take part of it into account.

Will you take my savings into account?

If you have more than £23,250 in savings or investments, you will have to pay the full cost of your care. There are a few types of capital (savings) that we do not include and we would look at this during your financial assessment.

Please note

If you have to pay for the full cost of your care and ask us to arrange your home and community care for you, we will charge a one-off arrangement fee of £75 to organise this on your behalf.

Will I have to sell my house?

You will not have to sell the house you live in to pay for any services that you receive in your home. However, if you own any other land or property, we will take the value of this into account.

Residential and nursing home care

If you receive support in a registered care home, there are different rules for charging for residential care, how we assess your finances and work out what you will need to pay.

Will you review my income and expenses every year?

We will carry out a review of your financial assessment, usually every one or two years and tell you about any changes in the amount you have to pay.

What should I do if my financial situation changes?

Whatever the reason for the change, you should let us know as soon as possible. This will make sure you continue to pay an amount you can afford towards your care at home.

What if I do not want to tell you about my financial circumstances?

If you would rather not tell us about your financial circumstances, you must sign the ‘non-disclosure of financial circumstances’ section of the financial assessment form. If you decide to do this you will have to pay the full cost of the support you receive. If you later decide that you would prefer to tell us about your finances, you should contact us and we will send you a financial assessment form to complete.

What if I don’t agree with what I’ve been asked to pay?

First of all, please contact us and we will explain the assessment to you. If you still do not agree, you can ask us to review your assessment and provide us with any other information that you have.

If we have reviewed your financial assessment and you are still not happy with the amount we ask you to pay towards your care, we will advise you how to make a ‘representation’ about the policy.

Sharing your information

The Council has a duty to protect the public funds it administers and to this end may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

Contact us

If you have a question or concern about your financial assessment please contact our Revenue and Assessment Team.


Telephone: 0300 126 3003


Revenue and Assessment Team
Box No: SCO2205
Room No: 2nd floor
Scott House
5 George Street
PE29 3AD


If you have any concerns about your care service, please contact your Key Worker.

If you do not have contact details for a key worker you can call Customer Services:

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0345 045 5202
8am to 6pm Monday to Friday
9am to 1pm on Saturday

Did you find this information useful?