We are currently recruiting reablement workers - find out more
Reablement is a programme of short term support tailored to your individual needs, to help you (re)learn the skills needed for daily living and reduce the amount of care and support you need.
Reablement is about helping people to do things for themselves rather than having things done for them.
Reablement programmes can last from as little as a few days to a few weeks and are focused on helping you achieve goals that you set yourself for maintaining your independence.
Am I eligible for reablement?
- Reablement will be considered for all adults after a stay in hospital. (Ward staff will identify if you are suitable for reablement. There are some circumstances, such as end-of-life care, that are not suitable for reablement.)
- Your GP or another professional, including our trained staff in customer services, may also refer you for reablement.
A member of the reablement team will talk to you about what you would like to achieve and how we can support you to do the things you want. Your goals and support will be written down as a reablement programme for you and the reablement team to follow.
During your reablement programme:
- we may suggest you try carrying out tasks in a slightly different way to make them easier to do on your own
- you may be offered, free of charge, the use of equipment to help with your daily living
Your reablement programme will end when you become independent or you reach your full potential in line with the goals you set.
Many people find that after their reablement programme they can cope very well on their own, without the need for further care and support.
Your progress will be reviewed throughout your reablement programme and you may find that as you progress the support you need may reduce.
If at the end of your programme you are assessed to have ongoing care needs, a package will be put in place to support. Depending on your financial circumstances you may be asked to pay towards the cost of your support. Find out more about paying for care.
If you take part in a reablement programme you may be offered equipment to help make daily living easier. Find out how equipment and technology can help you live independently.
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0345 045 5202
8am to 6pm Monday to Friday
9am to 1pm on Saturday
- Search the Care and Support Directory for local and national support services
- Find out how equipment and technology can help you live independently
- Search NHS Choices to find suitable care and check it meets national standards
- Find out more about changes you can make in the Care Choices adult care and support guide
- Planning your care
- Paying for care
- Delivering the Care Act in Cambridgeshire
- Complaints and feedback
- Age UK
- Someone to speak on your behalf (advocacy)