Deaf and hearing loss

Some people are born deaf and can communicate using British Sign Language for example and for other’s hearing loss can occur suddenly, but usually develops gradually. General signs of hearing loss can include:

  • difficulty hearing other people clearly and misunderstanding what they say
  • asking people to repeat themselves 
  • listening to music or watching television with the volume turned up higher than other people require

NHS Choices has more information about the symptoms of hearing loss.

If you are worried about your hearing, you should contact your GP. If you lose your hearing suddenly, in one or both ears, you must see your GP as soon as possible.

Where can I get further information and support?

Once your hearing loss as been assessed by your GP, you may want to find out more information and support yourself. There are local and national services that you can access yourself, without a referral and equipment and devices that you can purchase.

Cambridgeshire Hearing Help offers free advice on your concerns about hearing loss and runs weekly drop-in sessions where NHS hearing aid users can get free batteries and hearing aid care. They also have equipment that can help you to hear the television or telephone.

Cambridgeshire Deaf Association supports the welfare and interests of deaf people living in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. They arrange social events and groups for deaf people. They offer a befriending service and provide independent advocacy for deaf people. Their staff and advocates are fully qualified in British Sign Language. They mainly focus their services within the Deaf community.

Action on Hearing Loss has information, support and advice for deaf and hearing impaired people and their families.

British Deaf Association is focused on achieving equality for deaf people through community empowerment, membership and campaigning.

Sensory Services

Our Sensory Services work with adults who are deafblind, deaf, hard of hearing as well as adults who are severely sight impaired, sight impaired or experiencing visual loss.

They are responsible for keeping a register for people in Cambridgeshire with dual sensory loss and people who are severely hearing impaired.

They provide information, services and support for the deaf and people with hearing loss:

  • rehabilitation
  • equipment 
  • communication 
  • literacy support 
  • advocacy 
  • access to work or training opportunities 
  • direct access to services in British Sign Language or Sign Supported English 
  • referral to specialist provider agencies who may be able to offer further support and advice focused on the particular needs of you or your carer.

Contact us

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0345 045 5202
8am to 6pm Monday to Friday
9am to 1pm on Saturday

Did you find this information useful?

Website Feedback