Accessibility Options

Visual impairment

Any decline in your sight should be checked by an optician. Signs that you need to seek help include:

  • colours look a bit washed out 
  • you’re finding it difficult to judge the depth of steps 
  • straight lines look wobbly 
  • you find it hard to read 
  • you're struggling to see road signs when you’re driving

These signs are not just a part of getting older, they are telling you that something is wrong. 

Everyone should visit their optician every two years. Lots of people are entitled to free eye tests, so find out if you're eligible for free eye care.

NHS Choices has more information about blindness and vision loss.

Where can I get further information and support?

Once your sight loss as been assessed by your optician, you may want to find out more information and support yourself. There are local and national services that you can access yourself, without a referral and equipment and devices that you can purchase.

Cam Sight offers advice, information and practical support to children, young people and adults with a visual impairment. They provide emotional support and counselling; monthly social groups in villages across Cambridgeshire offering information and advice; visits at home by a community team and volunteers to provide help and company. Their two Low Vision Centres display and demonstrate a wide range of equipment and provide advice and training on specialist and mainstream technology. Groups for pre-school children, 6 to 12 year olds and teenagers provide fun, skills and opportunities for parents/carers to gain support and meet each other.

Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) provides practical and emotional support for anyone affected by sight loss.

Search for local and national support services in the Care and Support Directory.

Sensory Services

Our Sensory Services work with adults who are deafblind, severely sight impaired, sight impaired or experiencing visual loss, as well as adults who are deaf, hard of hearing.

They are responsible for keeping a register of severely sight impaired and sight impaired people in Cambridgeshire.

They provide information, services and support for people who are blind or visually impaired:

  • rehabilitation
  • access to the environment 
  • mobility and orientation training
  • independent living skills
  • lighting and advice on low vision aids 
  • communication
  • access to benefits and entitlements
  • advocacy
  • access to work or training opportunities
  • referral to specialist provider agencies who may be able to offer further support and advice focused on the particular needs of your carer.

Contact us

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0345 045 5202
8am to 6pm Monday to Friday
9am to 1pm on Saturday

Did you find this information useful?