Accessibility Options


The Society for Later Life Advisers specialises in the financial needs of older people and can link those who need advice to accredited Advisers. These Advisers can advise on investment options and long term care planning.

The government's Pension wise service provides free and impartial guidance to help people understand their retirement income options.

Find out more about seeking financial advice and making decisions.


The government has information on benefits, including those for carers and people with a disability and benefits for housing and heating.

The disability benefits helpline can help you find out what financial support you might be entitled to.

If you are retired, Age UK has information about money and benefits so that you can make sure you are claiming everything that you are entitled to.

Local support services

Search 'benefits' in the care and support directory for services and organisations that offer support and advice.


If you are having problems with money, it is important to seek help as early as possible. Contact the companies that you owe money to as soon as you can.

If you are struggling with your mortgage repayments, contact your mortgage lender who will be able to talk you through your options. If you are behind with your rent, talk to your landlord.

It is a good idea to talk to a debt adviser who will help you to work out a solution and provide tips on paying back your debts.

Age UK has information about debt for older people and letter templates and links to debt advisers.

The Money Advice Service has information about dealing with debt and how to get free debt advice and coping with unexpected bills.

Citizens Advice can give you information and advice and has tools to help you budget so that you can keep track of your money. You can also call their advice line: 03444 111 444 or contact your local branch.

Financial crisis

The Cambridgeshire Local Assistance Scheme (CLAS) provides practical support for people moving into, or remaining in Cambridgeshire, and for families and vulnerable individuals under exceptional pressure. Applications must be made through and Authorised Agent.

Ask any professional you are working with (e.g. health, social care, Citizen's Advice Bureau, housing provider) to register to become an Authorised Agent so that they can apply to the scheme on your behalf.

Trussell Trust food banks provide a minimum of three days emergency food and support to people experiencing crisis. A voucher can be issued to people in crisis by a GP, social worker or other professional.

There may be other food banks in your area and your GP, social worker or other professional can refer you if necessary.

Did you find this information useful?