Accessibility Options

Home maintenance

You may be well placed to know people who can do work for you or you might want to check out options for one-off work or to carry out more regular and routine maintenance around your home, like cleaning and gardening, that can help you manage more easily and stay independent.

Assistance schemes

Most councils offer a grant aid or loan scheme for home maintenance such as roof repairs, window replacement where windows are letting in water, and damp proofing. Some may also provide a handyman scheme for more minor repairs.

For further information about what is available in your area, please contact your local housing department or Home Improvement Agency.

WaterCare Service

Anglian Water offers a WaterCare Service to customers who range from nursing mothers with children under the age of one to kidney dialysis patients who have a dialysis machine at home; customers who have sight or hearing difficulties to those who are frail and elderly or classed as disabled. Anyone who registers for the WaterCare Service will get:

  • extra help, such as provision of bottled water, when their water supply is interrupted due to planned or emergency works
  • special tariffs for customers whose water use is metered
  • alternative ways of receiving information, such as in Braille, large print or audio
  • caller identity check for reassurance against bogus callers

To find out more or to apply to join the service, call 08457 919 155 or visit the Anglian Water website. You can also apply on behalf of a family member or neighbour who may benefit from the service.

Cambridgeshire Handyperson Service

Age UK provides our Cambridgeshire Handyperson Service. They can help with minor alterations, repairs, DIY and the installation of grab rails and key safes.

Find our more about the service and the charges that apply

Getting help with your wheelie bins

District councils will offer assistance for people who need support with getting their rubbish and recycling bins out. Go online at each council's website to find out more details. If getting assistance isn’t possible, you might think about asking for a smaller bin that is easier to manage.


There is help available with maintaining your garden. The district councils in Cambridgeshire offer assistance to their tenants in different ways.

East Cambridgeshire has a Helping Hands Scheme at Ely & District Volunteer Scheme.
Telephone: 01353 666 166

Fenland District Council has a garden maintenance scheme for elderly or disabled tenants of Roddens Housing Association.
Telephone: 0800 116 447 or 0300 333 6557

Huntingdonshire Luminus tenants who are elderly or disabled can phone the number below for help in the garden.
Telephone: 01480 428 777

If you don't qualify for the above services you can find a gardener on approved trader scheme, Buy with Confidence.

Rally Round

Rally Round is a simple idea that helps you organise family and friends to help you. Often there are a range of people around you (friends, relatives, neighbours) who are willing to help, but might not always know what help you need, when you need it. Rally round can help you organise this online; visit the Rally Round website for more information. 

Did you find this information useful?