Accessibility Options

Changes and adaptations 

Sometimes people find that moving to a different home which better meets their needs means that they can stay living independently for life. There is an online housing options app, HOOP, which look at your housing needs and concerns, and offers suggestions and details of local services which may be able to help. You can also get more information on housing option from FirstStop Care Advice.

Making changes or adaptations to your home may mean ‘de-cluttering’; removing excess furniture or belongings to make more space for you to get around and removing things like trailing wires and leads that can trip you up. 

Other changes could include putting in rails to help you get up steps or move around, small ramps to replace steps, grab rails in bathrooms, as well as making use of a wider range of equipment to help in everyday life. 

More major housing adaptations include such things as stair lifts, through-floor lifts or large ramps, changing from a bath to a shower, putting in a downstairs loo, all of which may mean that you avoid having to move out of your own home and can continue to live there as independently as possible.

There are grants available for some major adaptations

You will want to look into things and do some research yourself or perhaps discuss with your family or friends. 

Age UK has information on making changes and adaptations to your home; you can listen to a feature on what to consider.

If you think you need straightforward equipment or minor adaptations to your home, you can obtain all of this equipment yourself from a wide range of suppliers and retailers. This equipment will help make life easier for you and enable you to stay living independently in your own home. Information on suppliers is available on Safe and Well along with details on daily living aids that can help people of all ages live independently more easily.

Age UK Cambridgeshire has a Handyperson Service that can advise you and recommend improvements and changes. There is a Care and Repair Service offered by East Cambridgeshire District Council.

There are devices, technology and equipment available for people over the age of 18, who live in Cambridgeshire and who need practical help due to sight or hearing loss, physical or learning disabilities, frailty or illness. These can sometimes be all that is needed to help you to maintain your independence and quality of life and keep you safe in your own home. Our Technology Enabled Care team (previously known as Assistive Technology and Telehealthcare team) can provide information and advice.  

Some equipment - such as pressure relieving equipment and hospitals beds - is provided by district nurses.

Getting advice

You can get advice on daily living aids online on Safe and Well or via their helpline, as well as testing out kit at a demo shop.

You can get advice on adaptations and changes through an assessment from an Occupational Therapist (OT). You can access an OT through the Council by emailing [email protected] or calling us on 0345 045 5202. An OT will carry out the assessment over the phone or if necessary by visiting you. If you prefer not to go through the Council, you can access a private OT through the College of Occupational Therapists. Additionally one can be accessed through the Safe and Well website.

Papworth Trust offers advice on housing for people with disabilities.

If you are a tenant of the district council or a housing association they can supply and fit grab rails and bannisters. You should contact them directly.

Contact us

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0345 045 5202
8am to 6pm Monday to Friday
9am to 1pm on Saturday

Did you find this information useful?