The Nationality Document Return Service is a new service offered by Cambridgeshire County Council in partnership with the Home Office. The service is only for people who are applying for British citizenship online. If you are not making an online application, you cannot use this service.
At your appointment, we can copy the documents that support your online application and send the copies by special delivery post to the Home Office. This means that you can keep the originals and the Home Office will attach the copies that we send to the application that you’ve made. We cannot check or offer any guidance on your application or your supporting documents as part of the Nationality Document Return Service.
We can also send off your application for your first British passport.
We charge £60 for each applicant for the Nationality Document Return Service. Family groups are charged at £60 per person, not £60 per group. If you would like to use the JCAP (Joint Citizenship and Passport Applications) service, there is an additional charge of £12 per person.
Additionally, a postage charge will be made at the time of your appointment based on the weight of your application -
- Applications under or equal to 0.5kg - £6 postage charge.
- Applications over 0.5kg - £12 postage charge.
Before making an appointment
Please visit the Home Office website before making your appointment with us. This contains a range of helpful guidance on the requirements for citizenship.
Please make sure that:
- you have applied for British citizenship online no more than 10 working days before your appointment with us
- your online application was made using the AN or MN1 application route
- you bring all of the original documents that support your citizenship application, so that we can copy these
- you bring your completed online application checklist
- you bring the completed referee page with photo attached
- you bring your PNN number – we cannot complete your appointment without this. This should have been generated as part of your online application
- all applicants aged 18 years or over must attend at the appointment in person. However, please see below if you are also applying for a British passport as part of our service.
At your Nationality Document Return Service appointment, we can also check and send your application for a British passport. This will be sent to the Home Office with the copies of your citizenship documents. If your application for citizenship is successful, your new passport will be sent to your home address after you have attended a citizenship ceremony.
Please note that you do not have to apply for a passport alongside your citizenship application if you do not want to. If you prefer, you can just apply for citizenship and then apply for a passport at a later date yourself. However, our fees for your appointment will remain the same.
If you would like to use this part of our service, please note the following:
- You will need to bring a completed passport application form for each applicant to your appointment.
- You can obtain blank copies of the passport application forms from the post office. Please note that we cannot accept an application that you have printed yourself.
- Please complete the form in black biro.
- Please complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. You do not need to complete section 10, nor have the two photographs certified. Details of referees will be collected as part of the citizenship application.
- The photographs used for your citizenship and passport applications must be identical (i.e. from the same photograph sitting) and must comply with the photo standards as described in the Home Office guidance. If these requirements are not met, the application may not be able to proceed. The applicant’s name should be written on the back of the photographs.
- Any applicant for a British passport who is aged 15 years and 6 months or over at the time of the appointment must come to the appointment in person. If they are not present, we will not be able to send their passport application.
- Please do not enter a mobile phone number in section 2 of the passport application form. Please enter it in section 8 instead. Also grandparents’ details are not required at section 4 of the passport application form.
- Please bring a completed payment form for the passport application fee.
If you are unsure of anything, leave that section of the form blank, and complete it at your appointment.
If you do not meet the above requirements, we may not be able to send your passport application to the Home Office. If we cannot send your passport application for this or for any other reason, our fee is not refundable.
If you decide not to proceed with your Nationality Document Return Service appointment, we will also be unable to send your passport application – the copies of your citizenship documents and your passport application must be sent together. If your application for citizenship is rejected by the Home Office, your passport application will also be rejected. The Home Office will not refund either fee.
Your appointment with us must be no more than 10 working days after the date you made your online application. If your appointment is more than 10 working days after you made your online application, your application may be rejected by the Home Office and the fee you paid to them lost.
If you want to book an appointment with the Nationality Document Return Service, please contact Cambridgeshire Citizenship Services on 01223 715500 between 9am and 4pm Monday to Thursday and 9am and 3.30pm on Friday.
If you would like to use our service, it may be worth calling us to make a booking before you submit your online application to ensure that your appointment date is within the required 10 working days. We currently hold appointments in Cambridge on Monday mornings and Tuesday afternoons.
Changing your appointment
If you would like to move your appointment, please contact us at least two working days before the original appointment date. If you reschedule your appointment more than once or you cancel the appointment, the fee is non-refundable.