The aim of the Virtual School is to ensure that Looked After Children (LAC) have the opportunity to fulfil their educational potential. The Virtual School team manages a caseload of Cambridgeshire LAC who attend schools within a geographical area, and Cambridgeshire LAC who are educated out of county.
The role of the team is to support and challenge the professionals involved with Cambridgeshire LAC in order to ensure that they receive an education that best meets their needs and that they achieve their potential.
Key responsibilities for the team
- To monitor, challenge and quality assure the termly Personal Education Planning process for all Cambridgeshire Looked After Children.
- To ensure that the Pupil Premium Plus is used effectively to improve educational outcomes.
- To use attainment data to inform the actions and interventions for individual Looked After Children.
- To ensure that all professionals are informed about, and understand, the educational progress and attainment of the Looked After Children with whom they are involved.
- To ensure that social care staff are engaged in, and understand, the need for careful planning to reduce the impact of placement changes on educational achievement.
- To ensure that key staff in schools are informed of, and understand, social care processes for Looked After Children and to ensure that they understand the requirement to prioritise Looked After Children within their schools with regard to admissions.
- To offer training for Designated Teachers, School Governors, Social Care staff, Foster Carers and other stakeholders.
Whilst the Virtual School work only with Cambridgeshire LAC, all Cambridgeshire schools have access to the training and information on statutory requirements to support LAC. The information will be transferable to LAC pupils from other local authorities.
For further information on support for children with SEND, please see our local offer.
The Virtual School has outlined in its Local Offer Information Report how they support children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
Size: 57.61 KB File format: docx
Virtual School for Cambridgeshire
Cambridge Professional Development Centre
Foster Road, Trumpington, Cambridge, CB2 9NL
Telephone: 01223 699 883
Email: [email protected]