Accessibility Options

You may be able to get support and financial help if someone else’s child is living with you full time. You must tell us if you’re a parent and you’ve asked someone who isn’t a close relative to look after your child.

Kinship care

You’re known as a Kinship carer if you’re a grandparent, aunt, uncle, brother, sister or family friend looking after a child who can’t be cared for by their birth parents.

You must be approved as a foster carer if the local council has officially asked you to look after a child.

For more information visit our Kinship Care page.

Private fostering

You’re a private foster carer if both the following apply:

  • you’re looking after a child who’s under 16 (under 18 if they’re disabled) for more than 28 days in a row
  • you’re not a close relative, ie grandparent, brother or sister, uncle or aunt or step-parent

You must tell your local council about this arrangement.

For more information visit our Private fostering page.

Getting parental responsibility for the child

If you want to care for a child long term, you can get parental responsibility for the child by applying for a residence order or special guardianship order. For more information visit our Getting parental responsibility page.

You may also be able to adopt the child.


Did you find this information useful?

Website Feedback