Accessibility Options

Getting parental responsibility for a child

If you want to care for a child long term, you can apply for parental responsibility for the child. Having parental responsibility means you can:

  • get unpaid parental leave
  • choose the child’s school
  • agree to the child’s medical treatment
  • look after the child’s finances and property
  • apply for a passport for the child
  • stop the child being taken abroad without your permission

You can also apply to be Special Guardians or have a Residence Order for the child. Adopting a child also gives you parental responsibility. 

Further information

Family and Friends Care policy

Size: 115.97 KB File format: pdf

Care of children by relatives and friends

Size: 417.94 KB File format: pdf

Did you find this information useful?

Website Feedback