Disabled children with complex needs may require adaptations to their housing to ensure that it is safe, accessible and meets their needs.

There is funding to help meet the cost of housing adaptations for disabled children. The Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG), awarded by district councils, currently provides up to £30,000 towards the cost of building adaptations that are assessed as meeting eligibility criteria. 

You will need a referral from an occupational therapist (OT) to apply for a DFG. They will complete a housing needs assessment with you to identify whether adaptations are needed to meet your child's current and future needs. They will work closely with your social worker to ensure that your child's needs are met. If the cost of the adaptations are likely to exceed the current limit (£30,000), we will discuss with you how this shortfall can be met.

What you need to do

Discuss your child's equipment and housing needs with your social worker and OT. The Occupational Therapy Housing Options leaflet provides more information.

Contact us

To request an assessment call 0345 045 5203 or email: referralcentre.children@cambridgeshire.gov.uk.