Concerns about progress and development

The local authority expects all mainstream schools to offer consistent support to children with special educational needs and to ensure that they have access to a broad and balanced curriculum. 

Who can I talk to if I have concerns?

If you are worried about your child’s progress at school, talk in the first instance to their class teacher or the  Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo). You can also talk to your doctor, school nurse or any of the people who are working with you and your child.

If you feel that you would like to talk to someone outside school, you can contact the Parent Partnership Service providing Cambridgeshire's Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS). They offer independent, impartial advice on support for children and young people with special educational needs.

Depending on your child's and family needs, an assessment called an Early Help Assessment (EHA) may be completed with you. This helps to begin to identify the support your family needs and other professionals who need to be involved. They may request help from a range of services from the local authority or health services.