What is a Personal Transport Budget?
A Personal Transport Budget is funding to help you get your child to school or college rather than the Local Authority.
You may be able eligible for a SEND Personal Transport Budget if your child’s needs meet the following criteria:
- Your child/young person has a Statement of Special Educational Needs (Statement) or Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan)
- Your child/young person’s needs meet the criteria for SEND Home to School transport within the 'home to school travel assistance policy'
- Your child/young person currently travels on a single occupancy route or would need to be placed on a single occupancy route
- No other existing route is available
- The distance between home and school is outside the statutory walking distance
Children may be attending mainstream, special or an out of county school.
How much will the Personal Transport Budget be?
How much money you receive is based on the distance between home and school/college. We measure this as the distance as calculated by a route planner.
How will the Personal Transport Budget be paid?
- Payments will be made monthly. The money goes straight into a bank account for the young person or parent/carer.
- There will be 11 monthly payments. We don't pay in August as schools and colleges are closed.
- Payments will be stopped if your child's attendance is not satisfactory but will always give you 28 days notice.
- We review the budget each year to make sure your child’s needs still meet the criteria.
What can the budget be used for?
It's up to you how you use the money, as long as it helps you get your child to school or college. For example:
- to cover fuel costs or wear and tear on a car
- to pay for a shared taxi journey with other students
- paying other people to take your child to school or college when you can't
- paying for a chaperone
- paying for childcare for your other children whilst you are transporting your child with special educational needs to and from school
- buying travel passes for your other children so they can travel to and from school whilst you are collecting your child with special educational needs.
Applying for an SEND Personal Transport Budget
Please complete the SEND Personal Transport Budget application form and return to:
SEND Resources Team
Box SCO2214, Scott House, 5 George Street, Huntingdon, PE29 3AD
If you would like further information, please call SEND Resources on 01480 372 775 or email [email protected].