Local offer - Preparing for adulthood (14-25)

Education and learning 

Young people can leave school or college between the ages of 16 – 19; however, since 2015 there has been a legal requirement for them to continue in learning or training until they are 18. Further information on the school leaving age.

It's important to start planning as early possible. Young people will be helped to understand their options for the future by their school or college. The duty on schools, to secure independent careers guidance for all year 8-13 pupils, is intended to expand advice and guidance for young people so they are inspired and motivated to fulfil their potential. Schools should help every pupil develop high aspirations and consider a broad and ambitious range of careers. Inspiring every pupil through more real-life contacts with the world of work can help them understand where different choices can take them in the future. Details of the statutory duty on schools to provide careers guidance.

The role of the district teams

District teams work across Cambridgeshire providing support for children, young people and their families. For young people at risk of not participating in education, employment or training, as part of the Locality offer youth support services can provide advice, guidance and practical support. Young people who need extra help to plan for their future may be offered an appointment with a Transitions Adviser based at their school.

Children leaving care will be helped by their personal adviser as part of the care leavers local offer.

Support for young people with complex needs

Information, advice and guidance on education, training and employment is provided by our Additional Needs Pathway Advisers. Additional Needs Pathway Advisers (ANPAs) work with young people who go to a special school have a Statement of Special Educational Needs / Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan (from September 2014). They can work with young people through to their 25th birthday. Your son or daughter’s school can put you in touch with their ANPA.

Moving On Booklet387KBpdf
Size: 387KBFile format: pdf
Moving-On Into Work guide606KBpdf
Size: 606KBFile format: pdf

The Department for Education have developed an outcomes tool that is designed to support the development of Preparation for Adulthood outcomes in EHC plans across the age range. It explores the key indicators for preparing for adulthood at different ages and stages of development.

Support from Adult Social Care

Some young people may need support from Adult Social Care as they move into adulthood. The document below describes the process for children and young people:

  • who have support from social care as children and may continue to need it as they become adults
  • who don’t have social care support as children but may need it once they are 18
  • who are already over 18 who feel they may need social care support.

You can find out more about Adult Social Care Teams, and what they do.

There is also information on how disabled children and young people are supported as they move from children's to adult social care in the Disability Social Care 0 – 25 section.

Adult health services

Between the ages of 16 - 18, your child's move from child to adult health services will be discussed and planned. The healthcare professionals working with your child will explain what will happen at this time.

Who can I talk to if I have concerns?

If you are worried about your child (at whatever age), you will want to talk to them about getting help or any action they will want to take. Equally you may want to get advice for yourself to help you think through the situation. A starting point may be to talk to your doctor about physical or emotional and mental health concerns. Special educational needs will usually have been identified at an earlier stage, however, parents of a child aged between 0 and 25 years, or a young person aged over 16 and under 25 years in full time further education, can request an education, health and care needs assessment.

SENDIASS offers impartial information and advice for families who have a child with special educational needs or emerging needs.