Accessibility Options

Young people with special educational needs or disabilities can study a variety of courses depending on their ability, interests and career plans. If you are aged 16 - 25, on a course at school or college and feel that you need extra help, you can request an education, health and care needs assessment. 

Courses and study programmes

wide range of courses or study programmes are available; these are offered in a range of subjects and at different levels. Details on courses, entry requirements and how to apply can be found on individual school and college websites or on UCAS Progress website. 

Supported learning

Further education colleges and special schools offer courses designed specifically for young people with special educational needs or disabilities; these may be called supported learning or education. 

You can find details of courses and how students with additional needs are supported on individual school and college websites.  

Moving On Document 2019

We produce this 'Moving On' booklet each year for young people and their parents and carers. It contains information about the education, training and employment choices and options available for young people with Special Educational needs as they leave school and college. Last updated September 2019.

Size: 496.86 KB File format: pdf

For young people with complex and multiple needs and only when advertised courses are unable to meet a young person support needs, an individual package of learning and support may be appropriate. This will be discussed with your Additional Needs Pathway Adviser and agreed as part of the planning for transition. The Local Authority County Resourcing Panel agrees funding for individual packages.

Some young people with more complex educational needs may attend an Independent Specialist College, only if local colleges are unable to meet needs through existing courses or individual support packages. This can be discussed with your Additional Needs Pathway Adviser and SEN Casework Officer as part of the transition planning and review of the Statement of Special Educational Needs / Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan.  Details of specialist residential colleges are available from the Association of National Specialist Colleges website and on GOV UK.

Move On Up is the name for our programme of learning for adults with learning difficulties. The courses give you the chance to learn new skills, be more confident, be more independent and improve your communication and social skills.  Find out more about Move On Up 

Information on transport for all post-16 students, including those with special educational needs and disabilities can be found on our School Transport pages. 

Post - 16 providers have funding from the local authority to support learners with special educational needs and disabilities. Information on funding can be found on our School and College Funding pages.

For information on higher education courses, advice on choosing and apply for higher education and support for students with additional needs and disabilities, visit the UCAS website. 

View information including how and when to make applications for student finance and Disabled Students' Allowances.

SENDIASS offers impartial information and advice for families who have a child with special educational needs or emerging needs.

Did you find this information useful?