Housing and independent living

Young people may start thinking about moving to a place of their own as they reach adulthood.

There is general information on housing and different types of accommodation including private rented, housing association and young people's supported housing on Youthoria.

Social Housing - role of district councils

District councils support people over 18 seeking social housing.

Full details on how district councils organise this and how to apply to be on the housing register are available from your district council's housing advice service.

Support for young people

District teams work across Cambridgeshire providing support for children, young people and their families. Youth support services can give advice and guidance on a range of issues including housing options.

The local authority has a duty to assess young people aged 16/17 who are at risk of homelessness.

Outlines how locality teams, Children's Social Care and district councils work together to support homeless 16 and 17 year olds
Size: 615KBFile format: pdf

Young care leavers

If you are a care leaver, you can get support and advice on finding somewhere to live, staying in education, finding employment or training, money and benefits on the Care Leavers Local Offer.

Support from Adult Social Care for young people with complex needs  

Young people aged 18 and over with learning or physical disabilities, or with sight or hearing loss, may be supported with their housing and daily living through Adult Social Care. Young people who are supported by Adult Social Care should ask their social worker for information about housing and daily living options. Young people who are not receiving support from Adult Social Care can ring  0345 045 5202 to request an assessment.

Support Living Options for Young Adults updated Nov 2017
Updated Nov 2017
Size: 305KBFile format: pdf

Equipment to make life easier

Information on daily living aids and equipment is available on the Safe and Well website.

Our Technology-Enabled Care team offers advice and information on a range of assistive, telecare and telehealth devices and aids that can make life easier for people with disabilities. The team takes referrals from anyone, for anyone, for all ages and all diagnoses.

Housing adaptations

If adaptations are needed to accommodation because of your son or daughter’s disability, depending on the type of accommodation they live in, funding may be available through a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).  

Applications for DFG are managed on behalf of the district councils by the local area Home Improvement Agencies. Find the Home Improvement Agency in your area. Your Occupational Therapist can tell you more about this.