Being able to get out and about whether to school or college, a job, apprenticeship or training programme or to take part in leisure activities is important for all young people as they prepare for adulthood.

Transport to school or college

Information on school and college transport, including transport policies is available on our school transport pages.

Students who have a Statement of Special Educational Needs or Education Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan) should contact their SEN Casework Officer in the Statutory Assessment and Resources Team (START) for information on school and college transport. Statutory Assessment and Resources Team  01480 372 600, email: [email protected] 

Using public transport 

Information on disabled people’s rights when using public transport is available on the GOV UK .

There are some discount schemes and passes that young people may be eligible to apply for:

  • disabled person's bus pass (sometimes called a free or concessionary pass) can be used for free off peak travel on any local bus in England, including London. In Cambridgeshire this means free travel Mondays to Fridays after 9.30am until the last bus and all day on weekends and bank holidays.
  • Disabled Person's Railcard offers a 1/3 off most rail fares throughout Great Britain for those who are eligible.

Learning to drive

Some young people with a disability can drive a car at age 16 if they get, or have applied for, the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Find information about learning to drive on GOV UK. 

For information on transport schemes and support including blue badges, Motability and community transport, visit our Care and Support pages.

Staying safe

The Stay Safe Card can help young people who feel unsafe, unsure or in need of some advice. The card holder can go anywhere that a ‘stay safe’ sign is shown and seek support. These can be information points, shops or a police station. Alternatively the cards can simply be shown to members of the public.

Did you find this information useful?

Website Feedback