Continuing in learning / training until 18
The Education and Skills Act 2008 increased the minimum age at which young people in England can leave learning.
From 2015, young people are required to continue in learning or training until age 18.
Raising the participation age (RPA) does not mean young people must stay in school; they can choose one of the following options:
- full-time education, such as school, college or home education
- apprenticeships, work-based learning
- part-time education or training if they are employed, self employed or volunteering for at least 20 hours a week.
Find out more from the Department for Education and read our parents information and young people's leaflets.
What you can do
- Speak to your child about their plans.
- Speak to your child's school.