Accessibility Options

Help with cost for music education

In certain circumstances, financial or other help may be available to support children and young people to access music making opportunities.

Key information

If a school provides the opportunity for pupils to have music lessons in school during school time then:

  • children who are looked after by the local authority are entitled to free lessons
  • children who receive free school meals are entitled to remissions (funding from the school, partial or total) for these opportunities
  • other children whose situation might otherwise prevent them from accessing music lessons may get support from the Cambridgeshire Music Partnership

Your rights

Schools should publicise their remissions schemes for music lessons to support children in care or who are eligible for free school meals.  Schools may also have additional support available for children identified as Gifted & Talented, or in other situations. 

What you can do

If your child would like music lessons at school, contact the school's music department or music coordinator.

You can apply to the Music Education Hub - Cambridgeshire Music Partnership - if you are not eligible for support from school or need help to access support for music activities outside of school.

How we can help

If you need further help you can contact Cambridgeshire County Council's music service, Cambridgeshire Music, email [email protected] or the Cambridgeshire Music Partnership, email [email protected].

Find out more about the Cambridgeshire Music Hub (MUSH).

Did you find this information useful?

Website Feedback