Pre-16 school transport
There are different types of support available for travel to school. If your child is starting school in September and meets the qualifying criteria for free school transport shown below, you do not need to complete an application form. The Social and Education Transport Team will send out travel passes and details of transport arrangements directly to your home address in August.
Free school transport
Some school children may be entitled to free school transport. To qualify, your child must meet all of the following criteria:
- live within the area where Cambridgeshire is the local council
- be registered at his or her designated school
- be in or above the school year when they will pass their fifth birthday
- live more than 2 miles (primary) or 3 miles (secondary) from their school
- be able to complete the journey in less than 45 minutes (primary) or 1 hour 15 minutes (secondary)
Secondary school pupils from low income families
Some secondary school children may qualify for help with transport costs under 'Extended Secondary Rights for Low Income Families'. To do so, your child must meet the following criteria:
- be entitled to free school meals or be from a family receiving the maximum level of Working Families Tax Credit (with no reduction due to income)
- be attending secondary school at one of their 3 nearest schools between 2 and 6 miles from their home address or their nearest denominational school (on grounds of religion or belief) between 2 and 15 miles from their home address
If your child doesn't qualify for free school transport, you can apply for a spare seat for them. Please note:
- seats are issued on a first come first served basis and are subject to availability
- seats are only made available one term at a time
- the issue of a ticket does not guarantee that the place will be available in future terms
- the Council cannot guarantee to give advance warning of seats becoming unavailable
- applications must be received after the start of the half term holiday before the beginning of the term you are applying for
- applications should include full payment and will only be counted as being received when full payment has been received
Applications need to be made termly for spare seats. For more information, please see the application form below.
Apply for school transport
If you wish to apply for a spare seat for September 2017 then please complete the current online application form via the link above. Alternatively, there is a paper application form below which can be completed. Please note that charges for 2017/18 spare seats will be £210.00 per term.
Lost, stolen or damaged travel pass
If you have lost your travel pass, or it has been damaged, be advised there is a charge. Stolen travel pass will be replaced free of charge, when you supply a valid Police Incident Number.
School bus timetables
You will receive information about bus allocation and a timetable with your child's bus pass.
Behaviour on a school bus
All pupils who use transport provided by the Council are expected to abide by the Travel Code of Conduct. Pupils who fail to abide by the Code of Conduct when using transport provided by the Council may be banned from using the transport for a set period. It will become the responsibility of the pupil's parent, carer or guardian to arrange transport to and from school for this period of time.
Size: 1.30 MB File format: pdf
Paper form for pupils aged 5 to 16 years for September 2017 to July 2018.
Size: 183.10 KB File format: pdf
Please note that with effect from September 2014, all denominational transport support ceased, except that which is statutorily required by the Education Act 2006 i.e. for children who meet the low income criteria, attending their nearest denominational secondary school on grounds of religion / belief and that school is within 2 and 15 miles from home.
Home to school travel assistance policy
The home to school travel assistance policy covers mainstream, special and post-16 education transport.
Education Transport Team
Box No. SH1013
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0345 045 5208