Pre-16 school transport
If your child is starting primary or secondary school for the first time in September 2018 and you have received an offer of a school place, transport support may be available.
If your child's circumstances meet the qualifying criteria for free home to school transport assistance show below, you do not need to apply. The Social and Education Transport Team will send out travel passes with details of the arrangements prior to the start of the summer term.
Children moving into a new school year at their current school will automatically receive a new travel pass providing their circumstances have not changed. You only need to complete a new application if there have been changes to your entitlement, e.g. change of address. Please contact the Social and Education Transport Team directly if you no longer meet the criteria for free home to school travel assistance.
For children who receive travel assistance under the Extended Secondary Rights for Low Income criteria, you must complete a new application with your updated entitlement documents.
Free school transport
Some school children may be entitled to free school transport. To qualify, your child must meet all of the following criteria:
- live within the area where Cambridgeshire is the local council
- be registered at his or her designated school
- be in or above the school year when they will pass their fifth birthday
- live more than 2 miles (primary) or 3 miles (secondary) from their school
- be able to complete the journey in less than 45 minutes (primary) or 1 hour 15 minutes (secondary)
Secondary school pupils from low income families
Some secondary school children may qualify for help with transport costs under 'Extended Secondary Rights for Low Income Families'. To do so, your child must meet the following criteria:
- be entitled to free school meals or be from a family receiving the maximum level of Working Families Tax Credit (with no reduction due to income)
- be attending secondary school at one of their 3 nearest schools between 2 and 6 miles from their home address or their nearest denominational school (on grounds of religion or belief) between 2 and 15 miles from their home address
If your child does not qualify for free home to school travel assistance, you can apply for a spare seat. The charge for this ticket is £210 per term for the remainder of the 2017/18 academic year and £230 per term for the 2018/19 academic year. Please note:
- seats are issued on a first come first served basis and are subject to availability
- seats are only made available one term at a time
- the issue of a ticket does not guarantee that the place will be available in future terms
- the Council cannot guarantee to give advance warning of seats becoming unavailable
- applications must be received after the start of the half term holiday before the beginning of the term you are applying for
- spare seats are only available on school contract buses, and pupils would be expected to get to an existing bus stop
Applications need to be made termly for spare seats. For more information, please see the application form below.
Apply for school transport
If you have read all the information above and believe you need to complete an application form. Please click the button below.
Paper applications are available on request.
Lost, stolen or damaged travel pass
If you have lost your travel pass, or it has been damaged, be advised there is a charge of £8.50. A stolen travel pass will be replaced free of charge, when you supply a valid Police Incident Number.
School bus timetables
You will receive information about bus allocation and a timetable with your child's bus pass.
Behaviour on a school bus
All pupils who use transport provided by the Council are expected to abide by the Travel Code of Conduct. Pupils who fail to abide by the Code of Conduct when using transport provided by the Council may be banned from using the transport for a set period. It will become the responsibility of the pupil's parent, carer or guardian to arrange transport to and from school for this period of time.
Home to school travel assistance policy
The home to school travel assistance policy covers mainstream, special and post-16 education transport.
Social and Education Transport Team
Box No. SH1013
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0345 045 5208