Post-16 pupils with special educational needs

Young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) are expected to travel independently either by public transport or on foot to their post-16 education provision unless their SEND, medical needs or disability prevents them from accessing either of these.

Students with SEND may be eligible for subsidised transport or free transport to their Nearest Appropriate Centre (NAC) in the same way that students without SEND may be eligible. You can also find more information on the statutory guidance for local authorities on the GOV.UK website. 

The support that we will provide for young people from 16-19 years of age to get to their place of learning is detailed in our home to school travel policy at the bottom of this page.

Eligibility information

To be considered for post-16 SEN home to school / college transport the student will:

  • have a Statement, Learning Disability Assessment (LDA) or Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
  • be unable to travel on public transport independently or walk to school / college because of their special educational needs or disability
  • be enrolled on a full time course
  • be attending their nearest appropriate centre (NAC) either in a school (mainstream or special) or college of further education

If these criteria are met they may be eligible for subsidised transport up to the age of 25. Further assessment of eligibility will take place each year; therefore, a new application should be made each academic year.

To qualify for free SEN home to school / college transport, the student must meet the criteria above and you must be in receipt of one of these qualifying benefits:

  • Income support
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income related employment and support allowance
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
  • Child Tax Credit but who are not entitled to working tax credit and whose annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) does not exceed £16,190
  • Universal credits
  • Guarantee element of state pension credit
  • NHS tax exemption

If you are not in receipt of any of these qualifying benefits but the student is eligible for transport assistance, you will be required to make a subsidised payment of £170 per term.

Specialised transport

Some children will need specially adapted transport to and from their school or college. Arrangements for specialised transport are managed by the SEND Resources Team and will be discussed with you as part of your child’s EHC Plan.

Students with a visual impairment

Students who are blind or have a visual impairment are entitled to free travel on public buses. You must indicate this in your application. Where public transport is not available, we may provide free transport if your child is attending their nearest appropriate post-16 centre.

How to apply

You can apply and pay for post-16 transport online for the academic year 2017/18. You can choose to pay termly.

Apply for post-16 SEND transport

All applications are assessed by the SEND Resources Team (SENDR). SENDR will contact you directly to let you know whether your application has been successful.

Please contact SENDR if you require help with the online form or are unable to complete the online form.

Your application will be processed within 10 working days. Successful applications are then passed to Education Transport to arrange transport; this can take a further 10 working days. Please therefore wait until 20 working days have passed before contacting us to check progress.

Making a payment for additional terms

If you have already made a successful application, you can pay online for additional terms for the same academic year. You can choose to pay termly.

Pay for additional terms for same academic year

Taking your child to school yourself

If your application for transport assistance is approved and you have indicated in the application you are able to provide transport yourself, we will further explore this option with you. If agreed, you will be reimbursed for your fuel costs. This will be confirmed in writing from SENDR and any claims will be approved by SENDR before any reimbursement is made.

For further details please view the home to school travel assistance policy.

Personal Transport Budgets

Since September 2016, parents / carers are able to apply for a Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Personal Transport Budget. A Personal Transport Budget is funding to help you get your child to school or college rather than the Local Authority. Please click here to view more information on eligibility criteria and how to apply for a Personal Transport Budget.

Home to school travel assistance policy

Including glossary of terms

Size: 262.12 KB File format: pdf


SEND Resources Team
Box No. SCO2214
Scott House
5 George Street
PE29 3AD

Email: [email protected] 
Telephone: 01480 372 775

Please note - if the SENDR telephone number is busy, please leave a message and they will return your call as soon as possible.

Did you find this information useful?

Website Feedback