Pre-16 pupils with special educational needs

If your child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (from September 2014), you may be eligible for help with transport to school.

In Cambridgeshire, free transport may be provided if:

  • You live outside the agreed walking distance to the school identified in their Statement as noted in the home to school travel assistance policy. This is currently over 2 miles for primary age pupils and over 3 miles for children aged 11 and over.
  • A child has a special educational need, medical need or disability which ordinarily prevents them from either walking or accessing the transport provided.

This applies to students who attend mainstream and special schools.

Nursery children are not usually provided with free transport. However, if the nursery is named in a child's Statement and without transport they would be unable to access the place, transport will be provided.

Support for children using school transport

Passenger assistance for children with special educational needs will be provided in the following instances:

  • The child is under 5 years old
  • The child or young person has assessed communication difficulties that prevent them from alerting the driver to a problem
  • Their individual needs require a passenger assistant

Specialised transport

Some children will need specially adapted transport to and from their school or college. Arrangements for specialised transport are managed by the SEND Resources Team (SENDR) and will be discussed with you as part of your child’s EHC Plan.

Applying for school transport

All applications for transport support for children with a Statement of Special Educational Needs are handled by the SEND Resources Team (SENDR). Please contact your SEN Casework Officer for further details.

If your child attends their catchment school and is able to use the transport provided, applications are made using the appropriate application form. Please contact the Education Transport Team on 0345 045 520 or by email at [email protected].

Children who are placed at an out of county special school

If your child has been placed at an independent out of county special school, transport support will be provided. You will be asked to transport your child and your fuel costs will be met at an agreed rate per mile. If you do not have access to a vehicle or are not able to transport your child, transport will be provided.

Review of the home to school mileage rate

As part of a review of the home to school travel assistance policy, a change to the home to school mileage rate paid to parents / carers is proposed for September 2015.

Personal Transport Budgets

From September 2016, parents / carers will be able to apply for a Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Personal Transport Budget. A Personal Transport Budget is funding to help you get your child to school or college rather than the Local Authority.

Click here to view more information on eligibility criteria and how to apply for a Personal Transport Budget.

Home to school travel assistance policy

Including glossary of terms

Size: 262.12 KB File format: pdf

Home to school mileage rate policy

Size: 31.12 KB File format: pdf

Did you find this information useful?

Website Feedback