Archives service closure 2018-19
Both Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire Archives are now closed to the public. Staff are working on cleaning and packaging our archives in preparation for the move of Cambridgeshire Archives to Ely , and we are not able to carry out most services. Specifically:
- We are not carrying out research enquiries
- We are not delivering outreach and education events
- We are not accepting most deposits of records
- We are not accepting new orders for digitisation of our records. Existing digitisation orders will be honoured
We will accept deposits of public records (i.e.the specific sorts of records listed in the Public Records Acts, see below for further details) and we will accept deposits of records which are at risk of immediate loss or destruction.
We may be able to digitise records owned by external bodies. This depends, however, on staff resource available, and the service will be withdrawn completely the closer we get to the move date, as the digitisation equipment will itself need to be packed for the move.
Huntingdonshire Archives 2018-19
Huntingdonshire Archives is scheduled to reopen fully on Monday 3 June 2019. Huntingdonshire Archives is not moving and so it will reopen in its current location in Huntingdon Library.
During the closure period, the transcripts of parish registers will be available for consultation at the Norris Museum in St Ives Access to these transcripts is by appointment only. We are very grateful to the Curator and the staff of the Norris Museum for making these transcripts available.
Huntingdonshire Archives will also be open one day a month during the period December 2018 to May 2019. This has been made possible by the generous support of the Huntingdonshire Local History Society for which we are grateful.
The openings are by appointment only and researchers must contact us by email at least one full week in advance to reserve a seat.
The openings will be:
- Tuesday 18 December 2018 9:30-16:00
- Friday 25 January 2019 9:30-16:00
- Friday 22 February 2019 9:30 -16:00
- Friday 22 March 2019 9:30 -16:00
- Friday 26th April 2019 9:30 -16:00
- Friday 24th May 2019 9:30 - 16:00
Cambridgeshire Archives 2018-19
Cambridgeshire Archives will reopen in its new premises in Ely sometime in the late summer or early autumn of 2019.
We will announce an opening date as soon as one is confirmed.
During the closure period, the transcripts of parish registers and the microfilms of probate records will be available for consultation at the Cambridgeshire Collection in Cambridge Central Library
We are very grateful to our colleagues there for making these resources available.
Cambridgeshire Archives will also open one day a month purely to allow access to public records (specifically those classes of records listed in the schedules of the Public Records Acts.)
The openings are by appointment only and researchers must contact us by email at least one full week in advance to reserve a seat. Access to records which are not public records will not be possible because they are being packed for the move.
Researchers who arrive without a prior appointment will be turned away.
The openings will be :
- Tuesday 18 December 2018 9:30 -16:00
- Tuesday 29 January 2019 9:30 -16:00
- Tuesday 26 February 2019 9:30-16:00
- Tuesday 26 March 2019 9:30 -16:00
- Tuesday 30 April 2019 9:30-16:00
- Tuesday 28 May 9:30 -16:00
Statutory access to public records will be made available for as long as possible. 'Public records' are those specific sorts of records listed in the schedules to the Public Records Acts. They are:
- Quarter Sessions records for Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, the Isle of Ely and modern Cambridgeshire
- Petty Sessions records for all divisions within Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire except those in the former Soke of Peterborough
- Records of March, Peterborough and Wisbech County Courts
- Coroners' records for all districts except Peterborough
- NHS records of health authorities in the East Anglian region and records of hospitals now within the East Anglian Regional Health Authority except those in the former Soke of Peterborough
- Territorial and Auxiliary Forces Association records for Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely
- Probate records of the Archdeaconries of Ely and Huntingdon, the Peculiars of Brampton, Buckden and Thorney and the Prebends of Long Stow and Leighton Bromswold. Probate records of the Consistory and Archdeaconry courts of Ely are all on microfilm which may be consulted at the Cambridgeshire Collection in Cambridge Central Library
- HM Customs and Excise shipping registers for Wisbech
- Board of Inland Revenue Area Assessment Committee minutes for Cambridge Borough, the County of Huntingdon and the County of the Isle of Ely
- Cambridgeshire Advisory Committee on Justices of the Peace
Please note that there may be short periods when some of these records will be unavailable due to their being cleaned and packed.
You are welcome to follow the progress of construction of the new Ely archives centre on our Facebook page and on Instagram