Cambridgeshire Local Access Forum (CLAF) is an independent advisory body working with Cambridgeshire County Council to improve your enjoyment of the Cambridgeshire countryside whilst safeguarding its future. The Unitary Authority of Peterborough have their own Local Access Forum.
The Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 required highway authorities to set up a Local Access Forum. Its members are local people with a balance of interests in the countryside, including recreational users, land managers and those with interests in nature conservation, heritage, business, health, transport and access for the less able.
The main remit of the group is to advise the County Council, as well as District Councils, on the management of the county's public rights of way. The advice of the group is to ensure the continued improvement and protection of public rights of way in Cambridgeshire for the purposes of open air recreation and the enjoyment of the countryside.
One of the other main functions of the CLAF is to contribute in an advisory capacity to the development of the Rights of Way Improvement Plan(s) for Cambridgeshire County Council.
The CLAF set’s its own local priorities depending on local issues and what is of interest to the group members, as well as providing a local input to consultations and draft policy documents.
The Forum consists of up to 22 members, all volunteers, giving their time and experience to improve countryside access for the future.
Current membership of the CLAF includes:
- Cambridgeshire County Council – Philip Clark, CLAF Coordinator
- Cambridgeshire County Council – Cllr Mandy Smith
- Cambridgeshire County Council - Cllr Adrian Dent
Current forum members (name/interests)
- Cllr Mandy Smith - Appointing Authority Member (Cambridgeshire County Council)
- Cllr Adrian Dent - - Appointing Authority Member (Cambridgeshire County Council)
- Mary Sanders – Voluntary sector (Chair)
- Dr Roger Buisson – Planning and Conservation (Vice Chair)
- Jill Tuffnell - Walking
- Erika Wedgewood – Landscape archaeology and Youth Groups
- Mike Irving – Motorised Users
- John Heading - Land Owning and Managing
- James Winter - Land Owning and Managing
- Lynda Warth – Equestrian
- Alex Sossick - Cycling
- Bradley Unwin - Green Lane Association
Members must serve in a personal capacity to represent public interests rather than the views of any particular organisation.
If you would like to be a member of the CLAF team, apply by downloading the and return to Local Access Forum Coordinator, Cambridgeshire County Council, [email protected].
The CLAF meets 4 times a year and meetings are open to members of the public who are welcome to attend and contribute to discussions on the agenda items at the discretion of the Chair. If you wish to speak at a meeting on a subject which is not on the agenda, you must arrange to do this by contacting the secretary, Mrs Gail Stoehr, [email protected] or telephone 01954 210 241 at least a week before the meeting, stating the subject that you would like to speak on and why.
Please include your name and address and whether you are representing a particular group. One question per person or organisation is allowed and a question should take no more than two minutes.
Matters of interest are likely to include
- the management of access land
- the condition of PROW and work to record PROW
- improvements to the network of routes and open spaces in an area including PROW and access land
- provision of greenspace (including woodland and coast)
- relationship with other sectors with an interest in providing opportunities to enjoy open air recreation including health, sport tourism, land management and biodiversity
- how local authorities prioritise their spend on access and recreation
- Tuesday 21 February 2017
- Tuesday 16 May 2017
- Tuesday 8 August 2017
- Tuesday 14 November 2017
All meeting's to be held at South Cambridgeshire Hall, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, CB23 6EA.