Babies and young children love books: cuddling up and sharing a book is a great way to spend time together and gives your child a head start when it comes to learning to read.
We have a fantastic range of books for babies and young children - you can borrow up to 12 for 3 weeks at a time, all for FREE!
We are also able to order Bookstart gifts if families have not received their free Baby Bag or Treasure pack for 3 year olds. See our Bookstart page for more details
Children can join the library at any age – either join online or simply visit your local library. More information here.
Here’s what you will find for under 5s in our Children’s Libraries:
- Board books: sturdy books for little hands!
- Picture books: beautifully illustrated stories to share
- Story collections: including bedtime stories, fairy tales
- Nursery rhyme collections: books and CDs of rhymes to enjoy
- Early Learning books eg colours, shapes, animals: help your child understand the world around them
- New Experience: comforting books to help your child face new situations such as going to the doctor’s, starting playgroup or the arrival of a new baby
- Stories in other languages: board books and picture books for families whose first language is not English
- Parenting: books to help you as a parent, offering advice such as weaning, feeding, potty training and coping with toddlers!
But libraries are not just about books! We offer Rhymetimes and Storytimes, as well as other special activities for children to enjoy with their parents and carers (See Library News page for details).
……and finally, please don’t worry about your little one being noisy in the library or damaging any of our library books. We want you to enjoy coming to the library and sharing books at home with your children. We do understand that accidents happen, and we have a policy of not charging for any books damaged by under 5s.