Cambridgeshire County Council works with local communities to establish and manage a number of Local Nature Reserves for the benefit of people and wildlife. All of the reserves are open to the public.
Local Nature Reserves (LNRs) are living green spaces which are important for people and support important wildlife. They are places where local residents can study and learn about wildlife, or simply enjoy the health and wellbeing benefits of being in nature. All district and county councils can acquire, declare and manage Local Nature Reserves. There are 28 Local Nature Reserves in Cambridgeshire with 8 of these being owned by the County Council.
- Somersham, Huntingdonshire
- Ring's End, Fenland
- Mare Fen, South Cambridgeshire
- Beechwoods, South Cambridgeshire
- Isleham, East Cambridgeshire
- Kingston, South Cambridgeshire
- Worts Meadow, South Cambridgeshire
- Melwood, South Cambridgeshire
Green space management
A management plan has been produced for each of our sites. They set out goals and actions for all partners involved in managing that particular nature reserve. The plans include:
- What is important about the site and why it was chosen to be a Local Nature Reserve
- The location of the site and information of interest
- Aims and objectives agreed by all parties involved in the management of the site
- Biodiversity / conservation management and environmental education
- Community participation, access and visitor management
Green space volunteers
Volunteers play a vital role in helping to keep Cambridgeshire's green spaces beautiful and exciting places to visit and to enhance the wildlife.
Individuals, schools and community groups can help in a huge number of ways from organising events to scrub clearance, tree planting, litter picking or path maintenance to name a few.
Volunteering is a great way to meet people, learn new skills and have fun while putting something back into your local community.
If you think you've a few hours to spare, why not give it a go!
If you have any question about our Local Nature Reserves, please email us at email@example.com.
Map of Local Nature Reserves in Cambridgeshire
View Local Nature Reserves in Cambridgeshire in a larger map.
Other local nature reserves in the county: