Organisational badges will only be issued to an organisation which:
- Cares for and transports disabled people who would meet one or more of the eligibility criteria for an individual Blue Badge; and
- Has a clear need for an organisational badge rather than using the individual Blue Badges of people it is transporting.
Organisational badges should only be used when transporting disabled people in their care who meet one or more of the eligibility criteria for a badge and must not be used for the employee’s benefit when they are carrying out other business on behalf of the organisation or for private use.
The organisation should be using a vehicle specifically adapted for the use of disabled passengers; provide details of the adaptations and if the vehicle is licensed under the Disabled Passenger Vehicle (DPV) taxation class and confirm that the vehicle is solely being used for the purpose of transporting the disabled people being cared for. The organisation will need to provide proof of the above eligibility.
It is unlikely that taxi or private hire operators and community transport operators would be eligible for an organisational Blue Badge as they are not usually concerned with the care of disabled people who would meet one or more of the eligibility criteria for a badge. Such operators are, of course, able to use an individual's Blue Badge when carrying that person as a passenger.
Your organisation must declare that:
- Drivers must not use an organisational badge for their personal use
- Failure to comply will be a disciplinary offence
- Extreme breaches of these rules could lead to dismissal
- The maximum penalty for an organisation that fails to comply with these rules is £1,000 and for the person(s) found guilty of such breaches is dismissal
An eligible disabled person is defined as a person who is over two years old and:
- Are terminally ill and in receipt of DS1500.
- Are severely sight impaired (registered blind).
- Receive the War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement.
- Receive a lump sum benefit from the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces Compensation Scheme (within tariff levels 1-8). You must also be certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
- Receive 8 points or more under the 'moving around' descriptor for the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) because you can’t walk more than 50 metres. (The badge will be issued to the expiry date of your award if it is less than 3 years, alternatively you can apply through the discretionary criteria).
- Receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance. (The badge will be issued to the expiry date of your award if it is less than 3 years, alternatively you can apply through the discretionary criteria).
- Receive descriptor E of the 'planning and following a journey' activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), which states "you cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress".
- Have an enduring and substantial disability which means they cannot walk or which makes walking very difficult.
- Drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms, and are unable to operate all or some types of parking meter (or would find it very difficult to operate them).
- Have an enduring and substantial disability which affects mobility and have considerable difficulty in walking.
- Experience considerable difficulty whilst walking which may include severe psychological distress.
- Are at serious risk of harm when walking or pose, when walking, a risk of serious harm to any other person.
Children under three years
- Must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty.
- Need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital.
If you feel your organisation would be eligible for a Blue Badge please complete the Organisational Blue Badge Application form below. Each vehicle will require a separate application form.
There is a £10 charge when applying for a Blue Badge payable by credit or debit card. If you are deemed to not be eligible this will be refunded.