Platinum Jubilee events

In 2022 Her Majesty The Queen celebrates her Platinum Jubilee - 70 years of service. An extended bank holiday from Thursday 2 to Sunday 5 June will provide an opportunity for communities and people throughout the United Kingdom to come together to celebrate the historic milestone.

If you are planning a street party or any other event on the public highway you will need to notify us, and where applicable, apply for a road closure order.

What you need to do

  • Establish whether your event is a street party or a highway event.

Street parties are events that take place on small residential streets or cul-de-sacs. Highway events are all other events that have an impact on the public highway.

A street party planned to take place on a parish high street for example would be classed as a highway event due to its higher traffic flow and the larger number of people potentially impacted.

Further guidance can be found on our Organising a street party event page and our Organising an event that impacts the public highway page

Please note the deadline for applications are:

  • Street parties – 8 weeks before the event date
  • Highway events – 12 weeks before to the event date.

We encourage early engagement and applications. Applications may be rejected if clashes with other events occur and there may be occasions where further options need to be discussed.

Alternative locations

You may wish to consider if the public highway is the right place for your event. If you chose to have your event in one of the following you would not need to apply for a road closure. You would need permission from the landowner and may require a license from your local district council for entertainment, the sale of alcohol and loud music.

  • A nearby park
  • A village green
  • A public open space
  • A field
  • A village hall
  • Your garden
  • A local sports field
  • A licensed premisses

 Contact us

Further information is available from the IHMC and events team on: