From 8 May 2018 until the end of August 2018, road safety improvement works will be carried out between the Newmarket bypass and Stow cum Quy/A14 roundabout. Temporary traffic lights will be in place 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday and some small closures necessary.
From 21 May to 20 July 2018, Albert Road junction on the A1303 will be closed from 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday.
From 21 May to 29 June 2018 Wilbraham Road junction on the A1303 will be closed from 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday.
From 2 July until 2 August 2018, Little Wilbraham Road Junction on the A1303 will be closed from 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday .
Please keep an eye on this webpage for updates as the project progresses.
Why is this road being improved?
The A1303 is a regionally important traffic route, serving as access to Bottisham and Great Wilbraham and carrying 5000 vehicles daily. Between 2014 and 2016, 22 accidents were recorded along this stretch. Narrow lanes, unsealed shoulders, poor line markings, hidden intersections and a number of unprotected roadside hazards have lead to it being identified as a high risk A Class road by the Road Safety Foundation.
In 2017, funding was secured from the Department of Transport to install the safety measures recommended by the Road Safety Foundation along the full 6.6km route and promote road safety in the area through education.
Improvements being made
Countermeasures to improve the road infrastructure along the A1303 include:
- Road edge markings that cause vibration when driven over.
- Solar and standard road studs to improve visibility of road markings
- Additonal road signage
- Improvements to lighting along route with additonal streetlighting to be added at Albert Road and Wilbraham Road junctions.
- Carriageway widening, resurfacing and traffic islands installed at Albert Road, Little Wilbraham Road and Wilbraham Road junctions.
- Carriageway widening at Bell Road junction.
- Carriagway widening at Heath Road junctions to allow for a right turn lane.
- Safety barriers installed and some trees removed along route to improve visibility.
- Bus stop facility next to High Street Bottisham junction will be removed.
- Some field accesses currently on bends to be blocked and moved to safer locations.
We will also be carrying out targeted education activity to raise awareness about some of the common hazards on the route and how they should influence people’s driving.