From 8 May 2018 until the end of August 2018, road safety improvement works will be carried out between the Newmarket bypass and Stow cum Quy/A14 roundabout. Temporary traffic lights will be in place 24 hours a day until 1 August 2018 and some junction closures will be necessary, see below.
Upcoming road closures
Wilbraham Road Junction
Wednesday 8 August 2018 - Stop and go signs from 7am to 7pm
Thursday 9 August 2018 – Road closure from 7pm to 6am
Friday 10 August 2018 – Two way traffic signals from 7pm to 10pm (traffic will be managed due to Newmarket Racecourse event)
Albert Road junction
Friday 10 August 2018 - Two way signals from 10pm until 6am
Albert Road and Little Wilbraham Road
Monday 13 August 2018 - Stop and go from 7am to 7pm
Monday 13 August 2018 - Road closure from 7pm to 6am
Tuesday 14 August 2018 - Road closure from 7pm to 6am
Wednesday 15 August 2018 - Road closure from 7pm to 6am
Thursday 16 August 2018 - Road closure from 7am to 6pm
Why is this road being improved?
The A1303 is a regionally important traffic route, serving as access to Bottisham and Great Wilbraham and carrying 5000 vehicles daily. Between 2014 and 2016, 22 accidents were recorded along this stretch. Narrow lanes, unsealed shoulders, poor line markings, hidden intersections and a number of unprotected roadside hazards have lead to it being identified as a high risk A Class road by the Road Safety Foundation.
In 2017, funding was secured from the Department of Transport to install the safety measures recommended by the Road Safety Foundation along the full 6.6km route and promote road safety in the area through education.
Improvements being made
Countermeasures to improve the road infrastructure along the A1303 include:
- Road edge markings that cause vibration when driven over.
- Solar and standard road studs to improve visibility of road markings
- Additional road signage
- Improvements to lighting along route with additional streetlighting to be added at Albert Road and Wilbraham Road junctions.
- Carriageway widening, resurfacing and traffic islands installed at Albert Road, Little Wilbraham Road and Wilbraham Road junctions.
- Carriageway widening at Bell Road junction.
- Carriagway widening at Heath Road junctions to allow for a right turn lane.
- Safety barriers installed and some trees removed along route to improve visibility.
- Bus stop facility next to High Street Bottisham junction will be removed.
- Some field accesses currently on bends to be blocked and moved to safer locations.
We will also be carrying out targeted education activity to raise awareness about some of the common hazards on the route and how they should influence people’s driving.