What can I recycle?

Cambridgeshire's Household Recycling Centres remain open during the pandemic. Further information on measures and booking a time slot can be found on our Household Recycling Centre page.

You must also not bring any waste which could be infected with Coronavirus (Covid-19). This includes Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) waste or general household waste if you have been suffering from symptoms. These bags should be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste. This should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being disposed of in your kerbside collection.

household centres A5 8pp_Final1.04MBpdf
A useful guide to what you can recycle at your nearest recycling centre
Size: 1.04MBFile format: pdf
Recycling centre Charter and Policy274KBpdf
Size: 274KBFile format: pdf

The following household waste types can be recycled at any of the centres, unless otherwise mentioned. Black bag waste is accepted but must be separated. These must be from your own household. Site managers are available at all centres to help.

Waste is accepted at the site manager's discretion

  • Aerosols
  • Batteries (car/household - all sizes and types including those in mobile phones and power tools)
  • Bicycles
  • Bulky items
  • Cardboard
  • Car parts including batteries but excluding vehicle tyres.  See Giveacar on ways to scrap and sell your car for charity or dispose your car free of charge
  • Carpet - old carpets can only be recycled if you are fitting new carpets yourself
  • Chemicals - please contact you local recycling centre to find out what chemicals are accepted
  • Christmas cards
  • Clothes and textiles
  • Computers/ Notepad computers (ensure that any data is removed from the hard drive)
  • Computer games
  • Cooking oil - used to generate green electricity
  • Electrical items small and large, including TVs, computers and white goods (even if not working)
  • Engine oil and filters
  • Fire extinguishers (household only)
  • Fluorescent tubes
  • Fridges/freezers
  • Furniture (such as sofas, chairs, bookcases etc)
  • Garden waste (not Japanese knotweed)
  • Gas bottles
  • Glass jars and bottles
  • Hardcore (concrete/rubble) - subject to our construction and demolition policy (see Recycling centre Charter and Policy above)
  • Hard plastics including garden furniture, storage boxes, tubs, pallets, buckets, rigid plant pots, dustbins, 5-205 litre drums, water butts and plastic coat hangers (with all metal parts removed). Seedling trays and small pots (5 inch or less) are not recyclable so please place in the residual bin.
  • Kitchen knives (ensure sharp parts are protected and cannot cause injury)
  • Light bulbs (including energy saving bulbs)
  • Loft insulation - old insulation is only accepted if you are re-insulating the loft yourself. Please ensure material is wrapped up securely. This is subject to our construction and demolition policy (see Recycling centre Charter and Policy above)
  • Mercury thermometer- please hand this to a member of the site staff who will then ensure it is placed in the hazardous waste storage box 
  • Metal (tins/cans/foil/scrap metal)
  • Mobile phones (ensure any data is removed from the hard drive)
  • Pallets (non-returnable only)
  • Paint - accepted at Witchford, March, Milton, St Neots, Thriplow and Wisbech only. CCORRN collect, sort, test and remanufacture the paint so it can be resold or donated to the local community.
  • Paper (including shredded paper)
  • Plasterboard - it should be free from asbestos, foam, metal, plaster, polystyrene, rubble, tiles and wood. This is subject to our construction and demolition policy (see Recycling centre Charter and Policy above)
  • Plastic bottles are only accepted at Bluntisham, Witchford, Milton, St Neots and Thriplow centres
  • Plate glass (classed as rubble) can be taken to your nearest household Waste Recycling Centre and is put in the Hardcore container
  • Printer cartridges
  • Shoes
  • Soil and spent compost (not turf)
  • Timber- subject to our construction and demolition policy (see Recycling centre Charter and Policy above)
  • Wrapping paper - only pure wrapping paper can be recycled. Wrapping paper that includes foil and plastic is not accepted and should be put in your general waste bin

Please ensure all personal information has been removed from any electrical device before leaving it at a Household Recycling Centre. Cambridgeshire County Council does not provide a data removal service and will not accept any responsibility for the destruction of, or use of, any data left on the device.

What cannot be recycled

  • Animal waste produced from the litter trays and hutches of normal domestic pets (not including horse manure). Your district council will collect small pet bedding in your food and garden waste collections. Cat litter should go in your household rubbish. Please wrap animal waste carefully to avoid unnecessary health risk
  • Car tyres
  • Mattresses - please place in the bulky waste skip at the Household Recycling Centre. Mattresses cannot be recycled and will be sent to landfill. Advice on other options can be found on the RecycleNow website.
  • Polystyrene - please place in your kerbside waste bin or general waste skip at the Household Recycling Centre
  • CDs, DVDs and VHS tapes - VHS tapes and cassettes cannot be recycled and will need to go into the bulky waste skip at the Household Recycling Centre. Find out more information on other things you can do with CDs and DVDs.

Japanese knotweed and other invasive species

Japanese knotweed and soil contaminated with it cannot be accepted at any Household Recycling Centre under any circumstances nor can it be placed in your kerbside residual or garden waste collection. There is a significant risk of spreading this weed onto other land and we encourage residents to follow the guidelines from Government and Environment Agency and the Royal Horticultural Society. We recommend using a specialist contractor who will be skilled at control, eradication and ensure the material is disposed of correctly.
You could be fined up to £5,000 or be sent to prison for up to 2 years if you allow contaminated soil or plant material from any invasive weeds you transfer to spread into the wild.