Setting up and running a childcare business
We recommend that providers consider the following when setting up or expanding childcare:
- consultation and market research
- the need for childcare and early years in your area
- business and financial planning for new childcare
- Ofsted standards and regulations
- fee and wage averages in the area
- accessing funding to support new childcare development
- offering the free funded early years education places
Financial planning tools and demographic projections of childcare needs are available on request. We have produced information about childcare needs across Cambridgeshire and carry out a termly sufficiency survey.
The Childcare Business Grants Scheme runs until March 2018.
Specialist support is available to help you with:
- business and financial planning
- cash flow forecasting, budgeting and monitoring
- funding and sustainability
- marketing and promoting your service
- staff recruitment and management
- premises issues
- employer supported childcare schemes
- trustee and committee roles and responsibilities
- charity status and constitutions
- management structures / governance
- supporting parents to afford childcare.
To access this support, please contact the Early Years enquiries line on 01223 706133 or email [email protected]
The Families and Childcare Trust provides information for employers on setting up a salary sacrifice scheme, setting up a childcare voucher scheme, setting up directly contracted childcare and employer-supported childcare during maternity leave.
Fees and wages survey
The 2014 survey details fees charged and wages paid, broken down by sector and area of the county