Archives & Local Studies
- About Cambridgeshire Archives & Local Studies
- Visit Cambridgeshire Archives
- Visit Huntingdonshire Archives
- Archives Research
- Archive collections & online catalogue
- Local Studies collections
- Reprographics service
- Digitisation and scanning
- Donating and depositing records
- Document conservation service
- Cambridgeshire Archives moving to Ely
- Have your say on Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies opening hours
About Cambridgeshire Archives & Local Studies
Reduced opening hours at Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire Archives
Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies is to undergo a staffing restructure which, in conjunction with preparations for the move of Cambridgeshire Archives to Ely in 2017, may result in reduced opening hours at both Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire Archives from April 2016.
We are unable to provide more detailed information at the moment but will be making this available as soon as possible. We regret that until this time we cannot guarantee any advance bookings for the latter half of 2016 and beyond.
If you are planning to visit, please contact us in advance:
- Cambridgeshire Archives: email@example.com or Tel: 01223 699 399
- Huntingdonshire Archives: firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: 01480 372 738
Our aim is to identify, collect, preserve and actively promote the use of historical records relating to Cambridgeshire, including the former counties of Huntingdonshire and the Isle of Ely.
The archives in our care come in all shapes and sizes, from parchment to paper, from maps to microfiche and from photographs to CD roms.
Our online catalogue (CALM) will tell you where the listed documents are held.
Each archive stores millions of original historical documents and makes them available to the public in supervised searchrooms. Our expert staff will help you to consult original historical documents, microform copies, transcripts and other sources of historical information.
We run 3 main local studies libraries at Cambridge, Huntingdon and Wisbech and other libraries also contain smaller local studies collections.
As well as the above we offer:
- the use of our research service to call on our expert knowledge and save the time and expense of travelling to our offices
- Copies of many of our records through our reprographics service
- High quality images through our specialist scanning and digitalisation service, the FSB Scanning Bureau
- Advice on the best methods and materials for conserving documents at home
- Guided tours of the Archives, as well as talks and displays about some of the records in our care
- Opportunities to get involved with volunteering in the Archives and Local Studies.