Cambridge Central Library
- Provided by:
- Cambridgeshire County Council
There is something for everyone at Cambridgeshire Libraries Our 42 libraries and Library Access Points and (over 400) Mobile Library stops across the county offer books, newspapers, magazines, free WiFi and computer access, CDs and music scores. Online there is free access to e-books and e-audiobooks, access to many newspapers plus an array of free e-magazines to download and read at your leisure. You can use the library app to access to your account, request and renew books.
Cambridgeshire Library’s monthly e-newsletter is a must for finding out what’s going on in a library near you. You will be amazed at the breadth and depth of the events happening in our libraries. Sign up for the library e-Newsletter to make sure you don't miss special promotions and events in your library.
If you find you cannot get to your library due to mobility difficulties, illness (short of long term) or through unpaid caring responsibilities you may be eligible for the Home Library Service. We find a volunteer to bring you reading materials, and have a chat every month.
Anyone living, working, studying or visiting in Cambridgeshire or neighbouring counties, is welcome to join our library service free of charge.
We welcome volunteers in a variety of roles so please contact us if you are interested in getting involved and supporting a library. We have a variety of volunteering opportunities for young people (13+) – Summer Reading Challenge, book clubs, homework help and the Duke of Edinburgh scheme. ,
There are many adult volunteering opportunities ranging from helping to keep your library spick and span (shelving books, helping with displays etc.,) to becoming a digital buddy, helping with social media, joining the Read A Little Aloud groups (storytime for adults) through to supporting the arts and culture in your library with The Library Presents programme.
Facilities and equipment
- Photocopier - 4 self-service colour photocopier
- Fax - Staff operated fax from third floor helpdesk
- Computers - Book a computer online
- Printer - A4 and A3 colour on each floor - See charges details
- 1 microfiche and 2 microfilm reader printers - Located in Cambridgeshire Collection
- Note/coin change machines - Available on first floor.
- Free WiFi - You don't need to have a library card to use this service.
- Monday:9.30am – 6pm
- Tuesday:9.30am – 6pm
- Wednesday:9.30am – 7pm
- Thursday:9.30am – 6pm
- Friday:9.30am – 6pm
- Saturday:10am – 6pm
- Sunday:12pm – 4pm
- All Year
- Cost: Free
- Type: Libraries; Local Authority Service
Last updated on: 09 January 2020
Cambridge Central Library, 7 Lion Yard, Cambridge, CB2 3QD
Car park - Nearest is the multi-storey public car park in Grand Arcade Public transport - Bus station in Drummer Street. Bus stops in Emmanuel Street, 400 yards away. Railway Station 1 mile away. Toilets with disability access
Facilities and Accessibility
- Accessible parking
- Baby facilities
- Wheelchair access
- Disabled toilets
- Toilet facilities
What’s on at this venue
- 28 January - Five-a-side chess - Cambridge Central Library
- 28 January - Rhymetime on Tuesdays - Cambridge Central Library
- 29 January - Five-a-side chess - Cambridge Central Library
- 29 January - Rhymetime on Wednesdays - Cambridge Central Library
- 29 January - Improve your English Group - Cambridge Central Library
- 30 January - Five-a-side chess - Cambridge Central Library
- 30 January - Escape to France In Your Lunch Hour! - Cambridge Central Library
- 30 January - Rhymetime on Thursday Afternoons - Cambridge Central Library
- 30 January - Rhymetime @ Cambridge Central Library
- 31 January - Five-a-side chess - Cambridge Central Library