Cambridge Central Library
- Provided by:
- Cambridgeshire County Council
Coronavirus (COVID-19): From Monday 23 March all Library buildings will be closed. The service is working to create an alternative offer, read more on the library news page.
All item due dates have been extended and all overdue fines suspended throughout the closure period.
There is something for everyone at Cambridgeshire Libraries.
Our 45 libraries and library access points and 400+ mobile library stops across the county offer books, newspapers, magazines, free WiFi and computer access, CDs and music scores.
Online there is free access to e-books and e-audiobooks, access to many newspapers plus an array of free e-magazines to download and read at your leisure. You can use the library app to access to your account, request and renew books.
Cambridgeshire Libraries’ monthly e-newsletter is a must for finding out what’s going on in a library near you. You will be amazed at the breadth and depth of the events happening in our libraries. Sign up for the library e-Newsletter to make sure you don't miss special promotions and events in your library.
If you find you cannot get to your library due to mobility difficulties, illness (short or long term) or through unpaid caring responsibilities, you may be eligible for the Home Library Service. We find a volunteer to bring you reading materials and have a chat every month.
Anyone living, working, studying or visiting in Cambridgeshire, or neighbouring counties, is welcome to join our library service free of charge.
We welcome volunteers in a variety of roles so please contact us if you are interested in getting involved and supporting a library. We have a variety of volunteering opportunities for young people (13+) – Summer Reading Challenge, book clubs, homework help and the Duke of Edinburgh scheme.
There are many adult volunteering opportunities ranging from helping to keep your library spick and span (shelving books, helping with displays etc) to becoming a digital buddy, helping with social media, joining the Read A Little Aloud groups (storytime for adults) through to supporting the arts and culture in your library with The Library Presents programme.
Facilities and equipment
- Photocopier - 4 self-service colour photocopier
- Computers - Book a computer online
- Printer - A4 and A3 colour on each floor - See charges details
- 1 microfiche and 2 microfilm reader printers - Located in Cambridgeshire Collection
- Note/coin change machines - Available on first floor.
- Free WiFi - You don't need to have a library card to use this service.
- Monday:9.30am – 6pm
- Tuesday:9.30am – 6pm
- Wednesday:9.30am – 7pm
- Thursday:9.30am – 6pm
- Friday:9.30am – 6pm
- Saturday:10am – 6pm
- Sunday:12pm – 4pm
- All Year
- Opening Notes:
- Closed on bank holidays
- Cost: Free
- Type: Libraries; Local Authority Service
Last updated on: 23 March 2020
Cambridge Central Library, 7 Lion Yard, Cambridge, CB2 3QD
Car park - Nearest is the multi-storey public car park in Grand Arcade Public transport - Bus station in Drummer Street. Bus stops in Emmanuel Street, 400 yards away. Railway Station 1 mile away. Toilets with disability access
Facilities and Accessibility
- Accessible parking
- Baby facilities
- Wheelchair access
- Disabled toilets
- Toilet facilities
What’s on at this venue
- 07 June - 5asideCHESS - Cambridge Central Library
- 07 June - Storytime on Sundays - Cambridge Central Library
- 08 June - 5asideCHESS - Cambridge Central Library
- 08 June - Storytime on Mondays - Cambridge Central Library
- 08 June - Computer Buddying - Cambridge Central Library
- 08 June - Knitting Group - Knit Lits at Cambridge Central Library
- 09 June - 5asideCHESS - Cambridge Central Library
- 09 June - Rhymetime on Tuesdays - Cambridge Central Library
- 10 June - 5asideCHESS - Cambridge Central Library
- 10 June - Rhymetime on Wednesdays - Cambridge Central Library