Skip to main content

By social work we mean services which help children, young people, their parents, relatives and carers including:

  • an assessment of children in need and their families 
  • help when people want to adopt and afterwards
  • foster carers for young people unable to live at home 
  • advice to young homeless people ages 16 and 17 and for young people leaving care
  • when a child appears to be in danger or at risk of abuse
  • when children are disabled or have special needs
  • advice about caring for children and details of local and national groups or organisations which might be able to help

Social care assessment

An assessment is a way of collecting relevant information about a child and their family so as to decide what to do next.

The assessment may look at:

  • what sort of problems or difficulties there are and how serious they are
  • how the difficulties came about
  • working out what the main issues are now
  • what the family and child might need as a result
  • what might help solve the problems

Contact Children's Social Care

Telephone: 0345 045 5203 (office hours), 01733 234 724 (out of hours)

Find out more about how the council delivers our safeguarding services, and how they work alongside District teams.

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Safeguarding Children's Partnership Board has a range of information for parents and for practitioners as well as more information about MASH and Early Help Hub.

Please contact 0300 029 5050 for information about and to make a referral to Occupational Therapy.

If you are an organisation who would like to make us aware of placement availability, please contact our children’s commissioning team at