Find a Trading Standards approved trader

Buy With Confidence is an approved business scheme that members of the public can use knowing that all businesses on this scheme have been vetted and approved by Trading Standards. Trading Standards ensure that every business on the scheme operates in a legal, honest and fair way and are committed to providing a quality service to customers.

Finding a trader on the scheme

Online: visit the Buy With Confidence website

Telephone: contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 0808 223 1133

Visit your local library where library staff will be able to look up traders on the database for you

How we vet and approve a business or trader

The checks carried out depend on the type of business, but generally the application process will involve Trading Standards checking the following:

  • qualifications/certification
  • organisation/association membership
  • references (we take our own references from customers picked at random)
  • financial standing
  • previous court action
  • relevant insurances including public liability
  • criminal record check
  • complaint history with Trading Standards
The scheme does not provide a price guarantee, so we recommend that you get more than one quote to make sure the price is reasonable.
Buy with confidence logo
Look out for this logo for businesses vetted and approved by Trading Standards

Not a suitable trader on the scheme?

If there is not a suitable business on the scheme, we would recommend that you seek trader recommendations from friends or relatives.

If they are unable to recommend a business, it is advisable to use a trader that is a member of a Trade Association. Some Trade Associations operate a code of practice for their members, and can assist consumers to resolve issues with their members if that code is broken. However, the assistance they offer does vary, so check each Trade Association carefully.

Special requirements apply for gas and electrical work. Gas engineers must be registered with Gas Safe, and most electrical work is required to be either carried out by or certified by a Part P registered electrician registered on one of the following schemes.

Alternatively you can arrange for Building Control at your local District Council to certify the work, but you will need to agree this with them before the work commences.

Important advice when looking for a trader

Whichever trader you use we advise:

  • get more than one quote to make sure the price is reasonable
  • ensure the quote or estimate is given in writing before work begins and be clear what exactly will be done for that price
  • keep copies of all correspondence in case of future problems

For more advice and information on finding a trader, visit the Citizens Advice website.

Are you a business interested in being part of the scheme?

See our Buy with Confidence webpage to view the benefits of being part of the scheme and what is involved