Cambridgeshire County Council is a Category 1 responder under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 and is responsible for the preparation, maintenance and exercising of contingency plans that detail how we will respond to a disaster or major incident in Cambridgeshire.

We provide a 24/7 operational response to emergencies across Cambridgeshire.

Our aim in an emergency under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 is to:

  • minimise impact to the community and environment
  • continue delivery of critical services
  • help the most vulnerable
  • engage and empower affected communities

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Local Resilience Forum (CPLRF)

Our work forms part of a co-ordinated, multi-agency response within the CPLRF which comprises of Cambridgeshire local authorities, emergency services, health services, utility companies and voluntary sector organisations.

The CPLRF members:

Cambridgeshire County Council work in close partnership with the CPLRF to conduct the following:

  • Major Incident Planning
  • Business Continuity Planning
  • Control of Major Accident Hazards Planning
  • Major Accident Hazard Pipeline Planning
  • Radiation (Emergency Preparedness Public Information) Regulations
  • Flood and Water Hazard Planning
  • Severe Weather Planning
  • Dam-Inundation Planning

We also prepare off-site, on-site and incident specific planning where required.

Community Risk Register

The Civil Contingencies Act 2004 places a statutory duty upon local authorities to carry out and maintain risk assessments. A comprehensive list of the risks facing Cambridgeshire can be obtained by emailing the Emergency Management Team. These risks are used to inform our contingency planning

Warning and Informing

The Act also places a statutory duty on local authorities to put in place arrangements to make information available to the public about civil protection matters and to warn, inform and advise the public in the event of an emergency. Cambridgeshire County Council works in close partnership with the CPLRF to ensure that these duties are met.

Sandbag distribution policy

In the event of flooding, some District Councils do provide sandbags. However, in most instances you may be required to buy your own sandbags. We recommend that you check the appropriate District Council website.

Useful links

Did you find this information useful?

Website Feedback