Skip to main content

Flooding emergency

In the event of a flood, if there is a threat to life call 999

To report the emergency to the Police, please call 101

Report a flooding problem on roads and pavements

To report flooding problems on roads or pavements (e.g. overflowing drains and gullies) use the link to our highway reporting tool below.

Report flooding in a property, home or garden

To report issues such as external flooding to gardens or paths or to report that you have already experienced flooding within the living space of your home (not outbuildings) use the link below.

It may be possible to investigate the cause of flooding or offer advice.

Report flooding from water pipes or sewers

Anglian Water Services covers most of the county for sewage and water supply. Cambridge Water supplies only water to Cambridge and some of the surrounding areas.

Report flooding from surface water, groundwater or ordinary watercourses

If you are currently experiencing flooding to your property from surface water, groundwater or an ordinary watercourse (such as open ditches, culverts and drains), then contact your district council or the emergency services.

To report less serious issues (such as external flooding to gardens or paths), or if you have already experienced flooding to your property, you can use the flood reporting online form. It may be possible to investigate the cause of flooding or offer advice.

Please note that some ordinary watercourses are managed by the Internal Drainage Boards. There are a number of Internal Drainage Boards in Cambridgeshire. To find out if you are in one of their districts please contact the Association of Drainage Authorities.

Report flooding from a main river or the sea

To report river flooding contact the Environment Agency incident floodline on 0345 988 1188 or the incident hotline on 0800 80 70 60 to speak to an operator for advice 24 hours a day or listen to recorded flood warning information for your area.


It is recommended that property owners or businesses at risk of flooding make their own arrangements of sandbags in advance of flooding. Residents can purchase empty sandbags and sand from builders merchants or DIY stores.

Further advice is available on the National Flood Forum website.

How to prepare for flooding

To find out if you may be at risk of flooding go to the Environment Agency flood maps.

Sign up for flood warning alerts on the GOV.UK website

Further advice on how to prepare for flooding is available on the GOV.UK website

Read about the risks to motorists of driving through flood water (AA website).

Flood emergency contacts

In the event of flooding we recommend that you contact the relevant authorities listed below.


The Police can help with the evacuation of people from their homes where necessary. They also co-ordinate emergency services in a major flood incident. Contact 999 only in an emergency.

Fire and Rescue

The Fire and Rescue may pump out flood water; please contact your relevant fire station for details. There may be a charge for this service. They assist the public with personnel and equipment where a need is identified. Contact 999 only in an emergency.

Cambridgeshire Highways

Cambridgeshire Highways organises road closures and diversions due to flooding. They also place flood warning signs on roads and clear blockages on highways drainage systems. You can contact 0345 045 5212 or the Police out of hours.

National Flood Forum

The National Flood Forum is a registered charity that provides support and advice to communities and individuals that have been flooded or are at risk of flooding