Council tax

In Cambridgeshire, the district and city councils collect council tax on behalf of the county council. The district and city councils provide advice and information on the following.

  • What tax band a property is in
  • When the council tax is due
  • How to pay your council tax
  • What benefits you may be entitled to

Council tax payment and energy rebate

Please contact your relevant district or city council for information about paying your council tax and the council tax energy rebate

Check which district your property is in

Click on the map to see a breakdown of council tax rates in each area.

If the map does not load, please view it on the MapsCambridgeshire website.

Check your council tax band on the GOV.UK website.

How council tax is calculated

The first step in arriving at a charge per property is to calculate a Band D tax base for each of the districts and city council. This is calculated by the district and city councils themselves and is achieved by multiplying the estimated number of properties at the end of the financial year within each band by the 'Band D Ratio' and adding the results together.

The resultant Band D tax base for each district or city council are then amalgamated to produce a total Band D tax base for Cambridgeshire County Council.

District/city council Tax base 2021-22 Tax base 2022-23
Cambridge City Council 43,530.50 44,099.60
East Cambridgeshire District Council 29,930.00 31,115.30
Fenland District Council 30,143.00 30,664.00
Huntingdonshire District Council 63,355.00 64,501.00
South Cambridgeshire District Council 64,372.50 65,432.00
Total county tax base 231,331.00 235,811.90

Next, the council has to calculate how much it needs to raise from council tax. Normally, this will depend on how much the council plans to spend on providing services to the people of Cambridgeshire and how much of this will be supported by central government grants and external income.

Of the 2022-23 total gross spend, excluding schools, of £783 million, the council will raise £349 million from council tax (council tax requirement of £347m plus a surplus on the collection fund of £2m). The council tax requirement figure is divided by the council's tax base of 235,811.9 to give a council Band D Council Tax of £1,469.61 for 2022 to 2023. This amounts in a 4.99% rise in the County Council element of Council Tax compared to 2021-2022.

For 2022-2023, the County Council's share of council tax includes a levy of £9,684,976 issued by the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority (CPCA) for the delivery of transport services.

You can find further information about the service delivered on the CPCA website.

How our council tax compares with other areas

The county's tax levels are slightly lower than the average set by other county councils, both in the region and nationally. In 2021-2022, Cambridgeshire County Council had the 16th highest council tax of all 24 shire counties.

You can see a comparison against the neighbouring shire counties in the following table:

County Council Band D Council Tax 2020-2021 Band D Council Tax 2021-2022
Norfolk £1,416.51 £1,472.94
Suffolk £1,343.61 £1,397.16
Hertfordshire £1,414.20 £1,470.63
Cambridgeshire £1,359.18
Essex £1,321.11 £1,340.91
Lincolnshire £1,337.58 £1,364.16
Shire county average £1,391.73

Business Plan 2022 to 2023

The 2022 to 2023 Business Plan sets out Cambridgeshire County Council's long term vision, priorities for 2022 to 2023 and planned activities across the organisation for the next five years.