Skip to main content

Animal health and welfare

Bird Flu outbreak

Keepers of poultry and captive birds can find guidance on our Bird Flu page.

Trading Standards enforces legislation relating to agricultural holdings and the keeping of livestock.

Animal and bird diseases

Notifiable diseases

A 'notifiable disease' is an animal disease that you are legally obliged to report to the authorities, such as:

  • Bird Flu
  • Foot and Mouth
  • Swine Fever
  • Rabies
  • Swine Vesicular

Visit the DEFRA website for the full list of notifiable animal diseases.

If you suspect a notifiable disease at any premises within the county, you must report it immediately by calling the DEFRA Rural Services Helpline on 03000 200 301.

Biosecurity advice

Biosecurity is about making sure the livestock industry has good hygiene practices in place. It is imperative that people working with livestock take precautions to ensure animal diseases are not spread between farms.

View guidance for disease prevention for livestock and poultry keepers on the GOV.UK website. This guidance applies to keepers of livestock and anyone who visits livestock farms.

It is a legal requirement to fully cleanse and disinfect vehicles used to transport farmed livestock. This must be done within 24 hours of use or, in any case, before moving any other farm animals.

Report breaches of biosecurity rules

We have a duty to ensure compliance with biosecurity rules. We investigate any alleged breaches of legislation.

If you suspect someone has broken any biosecurity rules, please call Trading Standards on 0345 045 5206. Our phone line is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Animal records, movement and identification

The law requires livestock keepers to keep records of all:

  • Livestock movements
  • Livestock births
  • Livestock deaths

This is to ensure that livestock is identifiable and traceable.

Should another animal disease outbreak happen, it is vital to know:

  • The location of livestock
  • Where livestock has travelled from
  • Where livestock has travelled to

You must keep your records up-to-date and correct. It is our responsibility to encourage you to maintain your records accurately.

Find more information on animal movement and identification on the GOV.UK website:

Certain requirements apply to transporting animals, in terms of welfare and record keeping. Visit the GOV.UK website for guidance on farm animal welfare during transportation.

Poultry movement

If you are a poultry keeper based in the county, you can access the electronic Poultry Movement Book. You can save it on your computer or print to complete by hand and store as hardcopies. 

Poultry Movement Book80KBword
Size: 80KBFile format: word

Fallen stock

There is a ban on burying fallen stock, except for pets and horses.

Livestock of a species normally kept or consumed for farming purposes may not be classified as pets.

Permitted disposal routes include:

  • Incineration (in an approved incinerator)
  • Rendering
  • Knackers
  • Hunt kennels
  • Zoos

The National Fallen Stock Collection Scheme is a not-for-profit means of complying with the Animal By-Products regulations. For more information:

List of premises that can receive or collect fallen livestock

Call us on 0345 045 5206 to get a list of premises that can receive or collect fallen livestock in East Anglia. Our phone line is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Pet travel

Pet travel from and to Great Britain

The rules for bringing pets into the country remain similar to the rules before Brexit. An EU pet passport issued in a member state is still valid to enter Great Britain.

There are stringent controls to ensure rabies and other animal diseases do not enter Great Britain. It is essential that the correct requirements are met. If not, the animal will be detained on entering Great Britain and face many weeks in quarantine. This costs the owner in the region of £1,000.

Visit the GOV.UK website for guidance on pet travel to and from Great Britain.

Pet travel to a country in the European Union

The rules on taking your pet to an EU country have changed. You can no longer use a pet passport issued in Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales) for travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland. 

Always check the rules of the country you are travelling to for the requirements before you travel. View the information on taking your pet abroad on the GOV.UK website.

Importing and exporting pets for commercial purposes

View the Border Operating Model on the GOV.UK website if you need information on:

  • How to import or export pets for commercial purposes
  • Travelling with more than five pets

Livestock veterinary medicine records

You need to keep a record of all veterinary medicines purchased and administered to livestock. This is whether by a vet or yourself.

You are also required to record how you have disposed of such medicines if not used.

Report breaches

If you have concerns about animal welfare or need advice on any of the above, please contact us using the details below.

Contact Trading Standards

Telephone: 0345 045 5206