Which businesses need animal feed registration or approval
If you are starting an animal feed business, you need to apply for registration and / or approval from the local authority for the area in which your feed establishment operates.
The Food Standards Agency website has guidance on starting an animal feed business.
Businesses involved in the use, manufacturing or marketing of animal feeds need to be registered or approved with their local authority.
Such businesses include:
- Manufacturers of compound feeds
- Manufacturers of feed materials, feed additives and pre-mixtures
- Companies transporting animal feed
- Companies storing feed
- Companies distributing compound feed
- Food businesses supplying surplus food for use as feed
- Pet food manufacturers
- Arable farms, growing, using or selling crops for feed use
- Producers of animal feed for wild creatures (including wild game) which is intended for human consumption
- Livestock farms
- Food and non-food businesses selling co-products which are destined as feed materials
Registration / approval is a legal requirement for these businesses. They must:
- (a) Notify us of any establishments under their control, active in any of the stages of production, processing, storage, transport or distribution of feed, with a view to registration (see registration link below)
- (b) Update us on any significant change in activities at any of the establishments lists in (a) and any closure of an existing establishment
Apply for registration / approval
To apply for a Feed Registration or Approval please complete and submit our online form.
There is no cost for registration. However, certain activities require approval and the following (VAT exempt) charges will apply:
- £451 - Manufacture only, or manufacture and placing on the market, of substances referred to in Article 10(1)(a) or (b) of Regulation 183/2005 other than those feed additives specified in regulation 2(4), or of premixtures of such additives
- £226 - Placing on the market of substances referred to in Article 10(1)(a) or (b) of Regulation 183/2005 other than those feed additives specified in regulation 2(4), or of premixtures of such additives
- £451 - Any of the activities referred to in Point 10 of the Section headed “Facilities and Equipment” in Annex II to Regulation 183/2005
Visit the Food Standards Agency website for guidance on starting an animal feed business.
For enquiries or more information on any of the above, please email